Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I want to setup a network in a office enviroment I currently work for a business that desperatly could use a upgrade for efficiency. They have about 14 computers some have Win 98 some have 2000 and none are networked too see each other.

Now 6 of them are setup so they share a dsl line. At my own home when I brought up my network I remember it was a hassle so I wanted to know if I was heading in the right direction with my idea.

I know i'll need a router but setting up the computers to see each other is where I always forget and end up running to books. I dont really have the leisure I have when im doing it for just me so I wanted to know if anyone had any advice that I can follow and pretty much get something going.

Also, if it helps the dsl connection they share is always up unlike mine at home where I log on so that poses another problem for me as well.

· Retired Moderator
110,551 Posts
The simplest setup would just be a broadband router connected to the DSL modem. In front of one of the LAN ports on the router, install a 16 port switch, connect all the computers to that. The router will provide DHCP services, and you can setup file/printer sharing on one or all of the computers.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.