Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had IE5.5, then removed it and installed IE5.2 on the advice of a MS tech. Then I installed IE 5.5 with SP2 after posting a thread about which IE version would be best. After that, my OE quit working. I can't activate any of the screen commands and options and have to get rid of it by Crt-Alt-Del. Dark Star suggested I use the IE repair tool which I did. That made OE once again operable. But it only lasted a little while. Now I have the problem again and the repair tool doesn't fix it. One time it did show up in what seemed to be operable condition. I had just attempted to send a web page and wanted to see if it indeed got sent. But OE showed the email to be in my OE outbox and when I tried to send it, I got the customary OE window telling me that OE doing the various tasks, downloading from Hotmail, etc. But it got stuck on the task of downloading from Hotmail--it stayed on this about an hour before I did Crt-Alt-Del--it was showing a moving arrow going into a folder all that time.

What should I do to get OE working properly? Is one option to remove and reinstall OE? I am wondering if I have all the proper settings but I don't know for sure which the proper settings are. Thanks, grandpaw

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Why is everybody always picking on me? I can't even remember what all I have done or what all has gone wrong. I have a DialUp Connection through MSN and another I set up for myself and another through Juno. When I have wanted to go online, say by clicking an internet site on my screen, and then get the Connection window, it has been showing my connection I suppose you would say as the default connection, and I have gotten the connection established with no problems.

Now when I want to connecte, the Dial Up Connection box shows Juno as the default. And when I override the default and choose my own, it can't make the connection--I get a message saying I have the wrong password. I can connect by choosing MSN, thus getting time and again that delightful message that I'll be disconnected in 30 seconds unless I choose to Stay Online. I don't know if all this is connected to my OE problem or not, but I thought I should mention it.

Also the last time I clicked on OE on my desktop I got the opening OE window, nonoperable, but only the left column, showing my folders, showed up; the right hand column, the main column, was blank. Again I had to Crt-Alt-Del to get out.

And to top it all, HelpOnTheNet is mistreating me. I got told that I hadn't signed in and so had to sign in with my User name and Password. Maybe that was because I did get OE in operable condition once and I changed my default mail from msn to Hotmail, which I thought it had been all the time.

I have had some other problems with the computer, but I'll save them for my psychiatrist.

grandpaw

·
Account Disabled
1,222 Posts
HelpOnTheNet is not mistreating you. You probably cleared your temporary internet files which deletes all saved passwords for web sites. There's no grand conspiracy against you. Have you taken any classes on how to use computers and the internet? How about buying a good book and reading about some of this stuff?

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, maybe you're right but just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that nobody is following you. I did read some of a computer book, and also a little of a book on brain surgery. I understood the latter better than the former. Gotta go now, that mail man coming down the walk looks suspicious to me. grandpaw

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Hi Granpaw7,

It seems that some of these things are just wanting to have their own way no matter what you do.
I'ts alright I'm sure we'll get it all straightened out.

For the time being, go to:
Tools> Internet Options> Connections Tab> Settings> Advanced button (2nd one down in the Dial-up Settings)> Place a check mark in the box next to "Disconnect when connection may no longer be needed"

This will take care of the time out thingy, we can deal with why it is that Juno and MSN are fighting over who gets to be the default later on.

OE. When in OE go to Help (up top) and click on 'contents and index' take a cruise thru that section to see if the OE problem is addressed therein.

I'll be sure to check back in here.

DS

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
GRANDPAW7 : Have you tried going into Internet Explorer>>Tools>>Internet Options>>Connections>>DialUp Settings....and REMOVE EACH OF THE SETTINGS you have (ie Juno. etc) Then restart ADDING them, BUT DON'T SET ANY AS YOUR DEFAULT YET AT THIS TIME & DON'T ENTER USERNAME & PASSWORDS AT THIS TIME YET!!
The purpose of this exercise, is to firstly, clear all the junk you have currently & start anew & Secondly, work your way BACKWARDS with OE until you get your desired results....THEN you can decide IF you want to set ANY OF THEM AS THE DEFAULT & if so, accordingly, enter your username & password FOR THE DEFAULT ONLY!!

Please post back & advise!

Thanx!

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, dagnabit, as my great great granpaw used to say (I think). After experiencing a variety of problems trying to use OE, I went ahead and removed all of my dial up connections (MSN, Juno, NetZero and My Connection) (by hitting Delete in the Dial-Up Networking window). Then, I made a a new connection I named My Connection (MSN/grandpaw7). When I use it to connect from the Dial-Up NetWorking window, I finally do but it takes an ungodly amount of time. But when I click on any of the internet site icons on my desktop or taskbar, I don't get the Dial-Up Connection window but rather a Page Not Available message. When I click on OE, I get the opening window and also the Dial-Up Connection window showing My Connection as the only connection. When I click to connect, it tries but produces this message:

Connected to remote computer.
Verifying user name and password.
Failed to connect to remote computer.
Invalid user name or password.

I could not find any help by cruising the Help info in OE. Nor in Knowledge Base.

I'M INCLINED TO WANT TO REMOVE AND REINSTALL IE5.5SP2 IN CASE THE PRIOR DOWNLOAD HAD SOMETHING WRONG WITH IT AND SINCE THE TROUBLE WITH OE STARTED AFTER I PREVIOUSLY REMOVED IE5.1 AND INSTALLED IE5.5SP2. IS THAT A BAD IDEA?

In case you are an avid reader, and in case they are pertinent, here are some things that happened before I deleted my various Dial-Up Connections:

For one thing, at one point when I was offline and went to OE, OE responded to my commands. But when I was online and went to OE, it didn't respond. (Please pretend that the word Sometimes applies everywhere, since I have very frequently gotten different results from the same operation).

When I was offline and clicked on an internet site on my desktop, I would be given the Dial-Up Connection window with My Connection shown. But when I was offline and clicked OE, the Dial-Up Connection window would show the Juno connection.

When I had OE on my screen and connected via Juno, OE responded. But when I connected via My Connection, OE would not respond.

When the OE Task window has popped up, it has been showing that it is downloading from Hotmail, but that process goes on indefinitely (as much as 30 minutes) until I close the window.

Since I deleted all my connections and made a new My Connection (MSN/grandpaw7), the option save my password has been grayed out.

Previously, when OE was working properly, right after I opened OE I would get an OE message telling me that a Dial-Up Networking connectioon is already established to "msngrandpaw7" (as if I didn't already know that), and giving me to options, (1) Try to locate the werver on the current connection and (2) Hang Up and dial the MSN connection. It also had a "Don't warn me about this" option. I would just click OKor Cancel or the X and get rid of the window. I never did know the purpose of the window. But just before I deleted my connections, that window would show "hang up and dial "Connection to 650-8941" instead of to MSN, 650-8941 being my telephone number.

Sometimes, when I had been on OE and then closed it to return to my desktop, and then tried to open OE, I would get the hour glass for several seconds and then it would disappear without my getting connected to OE. When I hit Ctrl-Alt-Del, it show either OE as not responding or sometimes msinn, or something like that as not responding. When I ended task on whatever it showed, I would then be told I would have to log off and return.

If anyone has read this far, you are entitled to a hug if you are a girl and to a handshake if you are a boy. If you are a girl between the ages of sixteen and thirty, or if you just look between those ages, two hugs.

Thanks, grandpaw

In case they are pertinent, here are some things that happened before I deleted all my Dial-Up Connections:

·
Super Moderator
37,519 Posts
Hiya

Which version of OE do you have? Also, are you using different identities?

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q274/0/17.ASP

If you want to manually uninstall OE, have a look at this

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q183/2/76.ASP

When you are using OE, are you using it for emails only or are you using Newsgroups? If you are using the latter as well, you may need to compress the system.

Right click each Newgroup and choose Properties, then Local File, Compact. But you won't see this unless you use Newsgroups.

As for the problem sending and receiving Hotmail, have you set up OE properly?

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q171/1/63.asp

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q220/8/52.ASP

Hotmail (one above)

the problem with the Not Responding thing, may be due to the fact that you have either loads of Windows open at the same time. Mind, you do say this happens. What have you loading up at Startup? Go to Run and type in MSINFO32, go to Software Enviroment, then Startup Programs. copy/paste the list.

Regards

eddie

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As they say on that TV show about the Italian gangsters, forgetaboutit. I'm going to uninstall and reinstall Windows. But if I mess up, I am wanting to get a phone number I can call for help since I won't be able to use my computer. Does anyone know of such a number? I'm am assuming the help will be fee-based. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
37,519 Posts
Hiya

Just out of curiosity, have you tried the scanreg /restore facility. You boot to DOS, and at the prompt, type in

scanreg /restore

then choose a date prior to the problem.

But if you are going for a full format, there is the link on this site about Tech Support

http://www.tech24inc.com/techsupportguy.html

Regards

eddie

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Eddie, the reason I decided to go to Reformat is #@%^&, if you know what I mean.

Here is what shows up for Startup Programs in MS System Info:
(I tried to figure out a way to copy and paste, but couldn't)

Works Cal... Startup Grp C:\Program Files\Common Files\...
MS Wor... ditto
Internet Call Manager ditto
MSN Quick Vi... ditto
MS Wor... Registry (Pe.. C:program Files/MS Works...
ScanReg Reg(Ma... C:\Windows\scanregw.exe/aut...
TaskMonitor Reg(Ma... C:windows\taskmon.exe
System Tray Reg(Ma... SysTray.Exe
LoadPowerPr... Reg(ma... Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll.LoadCur...
Load Powser Pr.. ditto
winmodem Reg(ma... WinModem 101\wmexe.exe
SchedulingA Reg(Ma... mstask.exe

I got the impression that one of the links you gave was to be used when there were multiple identites, which is not my case. And I believe all of them warned they involved the registry in terms which scared me off. Should I not have been?

I tried scanreg/restore but both times I got a message that it didn't work. (I could only go back a few days and I think I need to go back further than this, maybe a couple of weeks.

tech24 doesn't provide phone help as far as I can tell. But I can use MS phone help, though I haven't been that pleased with it in the past.

I would appreciate input about:
whether the above list causes any concern.
how I can get scanreg/restore to work.
whether using your suggested links is no more risky than Re
formatting, and likely to be just as effective.
Anything else you think appropriate.

Thanks very much for your time. grandpaw

·
Super Moderator
37,519 Posts
Hiya

The scanreg /restore facility usually only does go back a few days.

The list looks okay, but one that could be removed is:

I'm assuming the first is Microsoft Works Calender Reminders: Produces a pop-up reminder of events scheduled using the MS Works Calendar. Not required

Internet Call Manager: thats for call waiting, voicce mail, etc. (keep)

winmodem:Software for software based modems. Required if you have one of these. (keep)

Some people who have had problems is OE uninstall using the link that I have provided, the reinstall, again same link. It usually works.

Its worth a go as you said you're gonna format if nothing works. I just feel that formatting is the last option.

The link about multiple identies was found on a serach. I didn't know fully at the time whether you were using them. And don't be put off with the registry, but at the moment, its best to leave it.

Also, did you doublecheck the Hotmail setup?

I'm off now but back later. Need some sleep as its 4:30am

Regards

eddie

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Grandpaw7:
When I click on OE, I get the opening window and also the Dial-Up Connection window showing My Connection as the only connection. When I click to connect, it tries but produces this message:
Connected to remote computer.
Verifying user name and password.
Failed to connect to remote computer.
Invalid user name or password.
That is why I told you in my initial post:
THEN you can decide IF you want to set ANY OF THEM AS THE DEFAULT & if so, accordingly, enter your username & password FOR THE DEFAULT ONLY!!

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
JewisHeritage, the trouble I'm having with your suggestion is that I don't know how to "reinstall" the MSN connection without entering my username and password. The MSN connection program for setting up its connection seems to require that info. And I'm a little afraid of deleting my MSN connection because much of the time the last few weeks it has been the only one that would connect for me. It does seem like I did delete it once and somehow got it back but I can't remember how. These computers for the senile like me should come equipped with a secretary to take down all the things I try. Preferably, a blond. Thanks, grandpaw

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
JewisHeritage, I have now deleted all (both) of my dial up connections, being MSN and My Connection. I assumed that by doing that I would lose my ability to connect to MSN. But in fact I still can so I guess it provides its own connection. I then created My Connection connection. But when I try to use it I get a message that I am using an invalid username or password. That has been happening nearly every time I would click on an intenet site and then click to use My Connection to connect to it. However, there have been times (I have gone thorugh all kinds of gyrations) that I could use My Connection to connect by going to the DialUp Networking program and connecting there. However, that does not do the job with the current My Connection connection I have set up.

Any thoughts? Thanx, grandpaw

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
SOLVED. OE hasn't been freezing up. I can connect using MSN's built-in connection or using the My Connection I created, though the latter is extremely slow whereas BW (Before Whatever) it was just as fast as using the MSN connection. But what's waiting a few minutes if it gets rid of those damnable MSN time out messages and those equally so MSN SignIn messages that pop up at the worst times. And waiting a few minutes hardly compares with the fifteen to twenty hours I have spent on my various recent problems.

Over the course of my repair travels, I have implemented suggestions made my JewisHeritage, and by Eddie, and by Dark Star. I now have OE configured for Hotmail and MSN.

Thanks to you. I have remembered you in my will ("and remember JewisHeritage, Eddie and Dark Star"). grandpaw

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Lots Of Laughs... Grandpaw7... Just glad to hear that it all worked out for you in the end!

Keep chasing those Girls!.....It's good for the heart!:D

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Grandpaw,

Glad to hear it, I believe eddie and JewisHeritage have said it already, so Ditto, Ditto here.

DS

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.