Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago my G Band Wireless Router stopped working, a friend of mine gave me his old B Band Wireless Router and I have been using that.

The downstairs computer has full speed internet because it's wired to the router, my upstairs pc gets extremely slow internet; it gets the internet wireless.

My problem is that upstairs I my internet usually is very slow, I download at around 15kbp/s. Sometimes though it goes up to around 50kb-220kb, but this is very irregular.
I understand that the range on B Band is much shorter but my pc and router are only about 3-4 meters away.

I'm just confused as to why it sometimes goes at normal speed but most of the time doesn't.
Also, I tried SpeedTest and got these results:

Why is my internet so slow?

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
What kind of results does the wired computer get with Speedtest?

Are you getting a strong signal? Is the nominal connection speed 11Mbps?

Any interference from other wireless networks?

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Try changing channels, it's the first step to do in this situation.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The wired computer gets around 2000kb/s and 180kb/s.
The signal strength is full and the speed is 11Mbps.
I don't quite know what you mean by interference but the connection is encrypted so there's only 2 pcs connected.

How would I go about changing channel? It's currently on channel 11.
Edit: Found out how to change channels, that doesn't seem to have changed anything.

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
Don't know why you're not getting better, but getting 70% of the wired speed probably means it's not worth your effort messing with it. A borrowed old 'b' router is only temporary, right?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well until I can afford a new one yes, but that may be a couple of months...
I'm not actually getting 70% of the speed though, that's what the speedtest says BUT my pages are loading very slow and my download speeds are like 15kb/s. I have tried different browsers and I'm getting a slow connection on online games too.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.