Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, this is my first post on a tech support website so apologies if i give irrelevant or not enough information. If any other information is required i will try to provide it.

For quite a while now (possibly a few months) my PC has acted up but only on the odd occasion. If i am browsing the internet or playing a game that isn't top of the range (World of Warcraft for example, though admittedly i do have it on full settings which is slightly more demanding), it seems to be fine. 99% of the time it can just idle or i can play WoW for a long time with no problem. However on odd occasions when idling or playing WoW at a random time, and when i try to play games that are more demanding like Call of Duty Modern Warfare, after around an hour it will just restart itself.

Also occasionally if i leave my PC on when i'm working, i will come back and the monitors (I have 2) are black as if it's on standby so i move the mouse and tap a few keys but nothing happens, closer inspection shows that on my keyboard that shows FPS, it had a sharp decline and it is on 0 (I have the G15 keyboard) but it is not continuing along like it should, so it suggests that it had crashed at some point while i was at work.

One of the more recent things that happened was that my monitors went black, and then came back up again but one of them was a turqoise colour and 1 was black. Very odd.

Now, i suspect it may be that my Graphics card is overheating or something similar but I am not knowledgable in what temperatures graphics cards are supposed to run at and what they are able to run at comfortably. I will list specs and voltages/temperature etc below.

Spec:
Windows XP Home
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe
4x 1024MB PC2-6400 (400 MHz) Corsair RAM
Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro CPU Cooler
SB Audigy 2 ZS Audio [9C00]
Power supply i'm unsure of, if anyone can tell me how to find out what i have, that would be useful. The PC itself was once a MESH computer (5 years ago) but since then over the years parts have been upgraded while the PSU has stayed the same, infact that and the Hard Drive are the only original parts along with the case that has not been replaced.

Voltages | Value | Min | Max
CPU VCORE | 1.26 V | 1.25V | 1.31V
VIN1 | 3.23 V | 3.22 V | 3.25V
+5V |4.78V | 4.76V | 4.84V
+12V | 11.39V | 11.20V | 11.52V
+5V VCCH | 4.65V | 4.62V | 4.65V
VBAT | 2.96V | 2.96 V | 2.96 V

Analog Device +3.3V | 3.37V | 3.35 V | 3.41 V

Temperatures | Value | Min | Max

TMPIN0 | 68C (154F) | 45C (112F) | 77C (170F)
TMPIN1 | 54C (129F) | 40C (103F) | 55C (130F)
TMPIN2 | 55C (126F) | 13C (55F) | 124C (225F)

Analog Device ADT7476 Local | 65 (150F) | 41C (105F) | 72C (161F)
ACPI THRM | 40C (30F) | 40C (103F) | 40C (103F)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Core 1 | 60C (139F)| 41C (105F) | 68C (154F)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Core 2 | 61C (141F)| 41C (105F) | 71C (159F)

Geforce 8800 GT | 99C (210F) | 62C (143F) | 115C (238F)
Maxtor 6L30050 HDD | 47C (116F) | 37C (98F) | 47C (116F)

Fan speeds | Value | Min | Max
FANIN0 | 2556 RPM | 1256 RPM | 2566 RPM
FANIN2 | 2454 RPM | 1762 RPM | 2509 RPM

The above readings are from start up, and currently have WoW open doing nothing specifically, it is just open which isnt the most demanding of tasks but it is running fine and has been for several hours.

I have bolded my graphics card temperatures because to me that does seem very high, but what i am thinking is that if it was the problem i would expect that at that it would do it more often and cause a general problem when playing or working.

I was planning to buy a PC when the new Windows operating system came out, but perhaps i will have to get one sooner if my problem requires replacing new parts and getting new ones all together. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

PS. This is where i cower and hope i didn't post it in the wrong section, or bore people to death with excessive rambling >.<

PPS: There is also an error message which i started getting 2 days ago when i switch on the PC, however the message escapes me so i will restart and get that and post it here.

Thanks again!

EDIT: Error message

***** Warning: System BOOT Fail *****
Your system last boot fail or POST interrupted.
Please enter setup to load default and reboot again

Press F1 to continue. Press DEL to enter setup.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Geforce 8800 GT | 99C (210F) | 62C (143F) | 115C (238F)

The maximum temperature seems to be a bit high. I have a 9400GT (not great) and that is running at about 55c under load. Have you got enough case fans to keep the air flowing through the case. The bottem by the graphics card is often a forgotten place cooling wise.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, I only have 1 case fan and a fan for the CPU, when installing the new CPU fan I had to take off the plastic sort of "funnel" i suppose because the new CPU fan was so big. In the end the case fan started to make a LOT of noise, it started off with the noise being caused by the fan rubbing against the wire for the case fan but since then has just been unbelievably noisy for reasons other than that.. so i actually have that disconnected at the moment. I will reconnect it and see what the results are then.

I'm not sure how i'd have a fan at the bottom of the case though as my sound card is beneath my graphics card and theres not much room between or around that. As i say thanks for the reply, hopefully turning my extra fan on helps a little.

Oh, finally, I took my graphics card out for a quick inspection to see if there was any dust in the fan or similar, and there wasn't any there.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
On the left hand side of the case I have cut an 80mm hole and just put an 80mm fan in it to blow air dirrectly onto the graphics card. This solved my problem of my card overheating. So if you have the ability to get a jigsaw and cut a hole in the side of your case I would do it.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Power supply i'm unsure of, if anyone can tell me how to find out what i have, that would be useful. The PC itself was once a MESH computer (5 years ago) but since then over the years parts have been upgraded while the PSU has stayed the same, infact that and the Hard Drive are the only original parts along with the case that has not been replaced.
If you have upgraded a fair bit and still kept the original PSU it may be struggling. To check your PSU open the case and have a look at the outside of the PSU. It should have a sticker on it which will tell you make / model (possibly) but should definately have a sticker on it telling you voltages etc. Look for +12v rails and their associated Amp rating.

Something a bit like this:

http://www.legitreviews.com/images/reviews/522/ocz_technology_label.jpg

The Output information is what you are looking for.

it started off with the noise being caused by the fan rubbing against the wire for the case fan but since then has just been unbelievably noisy for reasons other than that.. so i actually have that disconnected at the moment.
Probably not a good idea and likely a contributing factor to the problem at the very least. If the fan is getting noise I would suggest replacing it as it is likely on its way out anyway. They are very cheap.

When you have the case open check for dust build up etc. and give it a good blast out with canned air, especially around the CPU / GPU heatsinks and fans.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again for the replies, i took a look at the power supply and here is what it said:

High-Quality Evolution Commitment
HEC-550TD-PTE
AC Input | 230Vac 50Hz 7A
DC Output | +3.3V | +5V | +12V1 | +12V2 | -12V | +5Vsb
Max.A | 30A | 38A| 18A | 17A | 0.3A | 2A
+5V&+3.3V COMBINED 185W
TOTAL OUTPUT 550W

I plugged the case fan back in but there was virtually no change in temperature, 8800 GT idling at 86C and a new max of 143C. I have strategically positioned a 9" Desk fan to help circulate the air and it is currently running at 69C MIN, 79C current value, 79C max.

Is the error message i edited into my first post going to be linked with the graphics card heat issue and the occasional restarts? The problem is that it's very sudden and very infrequent that it happens so that is why i haven't really thought about it being an overheating problem.

As i say though, i was contemplating getting a new PC at some point anyway, the only real option seems to be add more cooling of some sort. I will look into a custom fan installation, as it may be a cheap quick fix until i get a new one.
And i will also get hold of some canned air to have a good clean out as it were.
Thanks for the replies so far :)

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Those new temps are only slightly higher than my 8800GT was running on a stock cooler. I had issues with it crashing at random when in games, sometimes crashed real quick sometimes went for hours.

I did a fair bit of googling etc and found that it was fairly common for the 8800GT (especially XFX versions) to become unstable when they went over 75C, they didnt necessarily crash straight away but just became unstable.

I eventually fitted an after market cooler on my GPU and it runs sweet as a nut now. The cooler I went for was:

http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/product_page/vga/hr03reva/product_vga_cooler_hr03reva.htm

with a quiet 92mm fan on it. Very rarely go over 55-58C now under load.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't think the position of my fan helped at all, it's crashed 4-5 times today and usually only happens once or twice a week. I noticed it felt very hot at the front, by the hard drive and dvd drives so i have repositioned my desk fan to the front of the PC.

Thanks for another helpful post, i will go to the shop around the corner and see if they can advise me on the extra fan/cooler issue. I'm not really sure what to do though, seems there could be a few problems and if it's not going to be easy or cheap to fix then i might aswell order a new PC instead of shelling out money on both a fix and a new PC in a few months. I will investigate further! Thanks again

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Have you tried running it with the side of the case off and a fan blowing air directly into it? I see you did say

I have strategically positioned a 9" Desk fan to help circulate the air and it is currently running at 69C MIN, 79C current value, 79C max.
but not really sure what you mean by 'strategically positioned' :)

On the PSU side, I am not particularly familiar with HEC branded PSUs but if it came as part of a pre-built system it is quite likely to be a fairly low to middle grade one at best. After 5 years and as you have upgraded components it could be on its way out and could be causing a problem also.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.