Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,
I recently posted a topic regarding a problem I've had with Team Fortress 2 just lately, thinking the problem I had was with the software. Since then, I've managed to figure out it's not just TF2 being effected and have pinpointed the problem- my GPU is over-heating!

After testing out 'SEGA Rally', the same problem occurs, with the screen locking up for a few moments before suddenly the graphics become 'garbled.' I decided to test the heat of the GPU using 'FurMark' on high settings (Xtreme Burning Mode) and to my horror found out that the GPU is idling at 72c and on load reaches a high of 108c!

I decided to take my GeForce 8800GS Card out and give it a dust (not that it was too dusty anyway.) Here are some pictures of my system and the graphics card.

Any advice on how to drop the temperature on my card would be greatly appreciated. I'm currently on a games design course at University, therefore running games and development programs at the same time is very important as part of my education. And I just want to play Team Fortress 2 again. =(

Thanks a lot TSG!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How many fans do you have...not including the Heatsink or power supply fan?
Wow, that was a fast response!

Well, I have a big fan on the back, a small fan on the top and a fan on the graphics card. With the CPU and PSU fans added there's five fans overall. I'll add more if possible, though I'm not sure what's best to buy or where to put them. Cheers!

Also, I do have a blue fan-card I don't use with two small fans on it. The reason I don't use it is because there's no-where I can place it without the fans blowing towards the bottom of the graphics card. Both the graphics card fan and the card fans blow towards each other... not good.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you tried nTune....you can adjust the fan speed on the 8800GS with it

http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windo...4.00/5.05.54.00_ntune_winxp_international.exe

Also have you checked for updates drivers for that card on the Nvidia site

Aslo check for any Motherboard driver updates
I haven't used ntune on this computer, though I have tried software similar to it I believe. It's called 'Riva?' My GPU fan speed is currently on automatic, though I did boost it up to 100% and it didn't make much difference.

I'll check for updates now, though last time I updated my video drivers I had to revert back to old ones as it wouldn't let me use my usual resolution anymore.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes sometimes the newer drivers are not always the best......you might need to reconfigure your fans ....some Blow some Exhaust as your V-card is running to hot and maybe the fans are only blowing the hot air around
The small fan at the top, the PSU and the big fan at the back are the Exhaust as far as I can tell. The GPU and CPU fans are just blowing stuff around. It boggles my mind as to how it's getting so hot. I do have a thermometer built into my case and one of the sensors hands down right in the middle (you may notice it on the second pic, the white wire.) Right now, that sensor is picking up 36c, and when playing a graphics heavy game, it changes to about 46c - 48c. Dunno if that helps at all...

Thanks a lot for all your advice Megabite, I really appreciate all the support TSG gives!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My 8800GS ran at 52C usual running....when playing games it went to 59C
I envy you, ha ha! Currently downloading the latest display drivers for my card, hoping it doesn't muck up this time. I'll get back to you on what happens, but it's pretty late now (3am) so it may have to be tomorrow!

Not sure where to look for my Motherboards. My current mobo is a ASUS M3N78 PRO GeForce 8300 Socket AM2+. Thank you!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For your Motherboard update drivers, go here

use the drop down menu and choose Motherboard>>Socket AMD+2>>M3N78 PRO>>Operating System XP

There are newer updates for chipset drivers and Bios

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us
Thanks a lot, this I will try next.

I updated the graphics drivers but now I'm stuck in some crazy 1600x900 resolution rather than my usual 1440x900. Looks a bit odd, the text is all squashed. Should I go back to my old driver? I could live with it though, gives me loads more space on the screen.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sure use the older driver......it's got to look OK
No worries, I just used the Nvidia Control Panel 'Custom Resolution' tool to use my previous one again. It's fantastic, can't believed it worked! Looks just like it did before now, wish I'd found that before. I'll test the GPU in FurMark again tomorrow night and get back to you! Thanks a lot!

Latest Chipset Drivers installed and I flashed the Bios with the most recent revision (first time I've done so since I built the computer), btw!

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
I had similar issues with my XFX 8800GT and after some searching found that, apparently, heat is a problem for a lot of the XFX 8800 series, especially the factory overclocked versions.

The general concensus was that the problems occured, almost at random, after the GPU went over 75C. With yours idling at 72C that is going to happen very fast and 72C idle is a bit high.

Having read your posts do you have any intake fans? I see you have 2 blowing out and then the GPU and CPU blowing on those cards, but without a fan forcing cool air in from outside the case you are limiting their effectiveness, you need to have air flowing through the case from outside, over the components then out. The normal place to put an intake fan is at the front of the case at the bottom.

I used NTune to boost my GPU fan speed to 100% when gaming which had a reasonable effect but ultimately I ended up buying an aftermarket cooler and fan for it. I still have the occasional problem if the ambient temperature around the PC is fairly warm but generally it OK now.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had similar issues with my XFX 8800GT and after some searching found that, apparently, heat is a problem for a lot of the XFX 8800 series, especially the factory overclocked versions.

The general concensus was that the problems occured, almost at random, after the GPU went over 75C. With yours idling at 72C that is going to happen very fast and 72C idle is a bit high.

Having read your posts do you have any intake fans? I see you have 2 blowing out and then the GPU and CPU blowing on those cards, but without a fan forcing cool air in from outside the case you are limiting their effectiveness, you need to have air flowing through the case from outside, over the components then out. The normal place to put an intake fan is at the front of the case at the bottom.

I used NTune to boost my GPU fan speed to 100% when gaming which had a reasonable effect but ultimately I ended up buying an aftermarket cooler and fan for it. I still have the occasional problem if the ambient temperature around the PC is fairly warm but generally it OK now.
Hey Tanis,
No, I currently don't have any intake fans. There's no space for one on the front of my system, I can take you a picture of my case later tonight. Basically, the front is all covered up with a silver finish .

I've just bought a cheap 80MM fan for the side as there's space for one and my original one broke before I even got it connected (it came with one of the wires loose.) Do you know where I can buy a good cooler for the card? I'm happy buying other fans too, I just can't fit any at the front annoyingly.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Depends how much you want to spend and how much room you have in the case.

The one I went for is linked below, I also have a 92mm fan on it.

http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/product_page/vga/hr03reva/product_vga_cooler_hr03reva.htm

However it doesn't list the 8800GS as a compatible card!

Ill have a look at the pic after you post it, with temps like that I think you need to find some way to get a fan pushing air into the case, this should increase the volume of air flowing through (and therefore over) your components.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Depends how much you want to spend and how much room you have in the case.

The one I went for is linked below, I also have a 92mm fan on it.

http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/product_page/vga/hr03reva/product_vga_cooler_hr03reva.htm

However it doesn't list the 8800GS as a compatible card!

Ill have a look at the pic after you post it, with temps like that I think you need to find some way to get a fan pushing air into the case, this should increase the volume of air flowing through (and therefore over) your components.
Well, currently I have no money at all. There's a £500 overdraft lying in my bank though, so if I have to spend a bit to sort this heat out it'll have to be used. After updating the Bios and GPU drivers the over-heating still occurs. =(

Here are a couple of pictures of my case:

Thanks for the advice!

PS. I managed to find a site that's selling the product in the UK. I'm a bit unsure about taking the current heatsink off and stuff, not sure if it'll fit or not either. A lot of money I don't really have wasted if so. =(

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to look at this thread last night and the 'net police' at work won't let me see the pictures, will try and check them on my phone a bit later.

As for changing the heatsink/fan on the GPU, its not a hard job. My 8800GT was the first time I had ever tried it and it was pretty quick and easy. Ill also have a look at some of the sites in my Favouites and see what I can find for you, im in UK aswell.

To test the heat issue side, give it a clean out as I said then try running it with the side off the case with a desk fan blowing into it. If that solves the problem then you can be fairly sure its heat related.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to look at this thread last night and the 'net police' at work won't let me see the pictures, will try and check them on my phone a bit later.

As for changing the heatsink/fan on the GPU, its not a hard job. My 8800GT was the first time I had ever tried it and it was pretty quick and easy. Ill also have a look at some of the sites in my Favouites and see what I can find for you, im in UK aswell.

To test the heat issue side, give it a clean out as I said then try running it with the side off the case with a desk fan blowing into it. If that solves the problem then you can be fairly sure its heat related.
Ha ha, no worries, it's nice to know you're just still checking the thread!

Ah okay, that's good to hear. I've removed CPU heatsinks before and applied Thermal Paste and what-not, though whatever it is I always worry something will go wrong. Looks like you get a load of instructions and stuff with it anyway. I emailed the XFX support line and asked them if they can recommend any replacement heatsinks that fit the GeForce 8800GS. Will have to wait a bit longer though to see what they reply with- no response yet.

I have a huge fan right next to my tower, so I'll try that out today. I'm not worrying about it so much now, but when I get back to Uni my PC has to be shoved underneath the desk due to lack of space. It'll get hotter there obviously, so it'd be nice to get a heatsink installed before I go back! Cheers Tanis!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Okay, an update (a very bad one.)

I was sat on the PC as normal today and after about three or so hours of having it on, the text on screen began to go blurry, it was as if it was fading. At first I thought it was my eyes, but then suddenly I smelt something odd. My graphics card was literally too hot to touch and the inside of my computer smelt of burning.

It's off now, but I've yet to take the card out and have a look at it. Really worried my computer is going to screw up because of this. =(

Edit: Had a look, the card looks the same as usual. Put it back in, works as normal. Maybe I should forget a heatsink and just buy a new graphics card all together?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.