Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Nvidia Quadro2 EX 32MB AGP 4x and a Compaq Presario 5000 (5003US) and I can't seem to get the two to talk to each other.

I have Flashed the BIOS, uninstalled the onboard driver, and installed the hardware. WinXP doesn't seem to know I even added the card. I went round and round with HP on this and the last guy I talked to told me that it involves a complicated jumper setting on the motherboard. I looked for jumpers there are none I can find on the board that relate to graphics. Now these guys want me to take the computer to Radio Shack. Noway in Hell am I letting them even breath on it! These guys are driving me insane, if I don't or can't get an answer here I plan to sell this card at $30 or 40 bucks just to get some of my money back on it.

A big thanks to anyone who can give me a clue.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Does it even recognize the video card when you go to the add new hardware wizard? By the way, I know what you mean about talking through HP customer support :rolleyes:. So you told the guy at the store what you wanted and what computer you had, and he suggested that card right? If he suggested it, I don't see why it wouldnt work.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
It might have to do with a couple of factors.

1. Many slightly older motherboards can not physically supply the amount of current a new video card needs and either won't start or will run and crash all the time

2. Your AGP slot is a certain speed 1x, 2x, 4x. If you are attempting to put a 4x card in the system you need at least a 2x slot for it to "probably" work, if you have a 1x slot it won't work.

3. You have a motherboard that has onboard video and is implimented poorly (like the m810lmr) and installing an AGP video card may or may not actually disable the onboard video, try to use a jumper to disable the onboard video if you can otherwise you will be stuck trying to find a different type of card works with your oddball board.

Good Luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.