Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Heres the deal.

I brought a custom made PC around 5 months back. Its a gaming PC so as you guessed im a pretty competant gamer :)

The porblem i have had for quiet a while now is within an hour of playing a first perosn shooting game or any intensive game, random pixles on the screen suddenly change colour (it turns multicoloured) and the sound starts repeating.

After this has happened the PC wil not respond to any commands. I have tried to check the tempretures but i cant as the PC wont respond.

When this happens I always have to restart the PC at the button (whihc i hate doing).
This is really annoying for online mp games since i suddenly disconnect at the wrong times.

I dont believe it is a fan issue because , well to be honest my computer keeps me cool i have so many fans.

Hope you can help...

System Specs:
ASUS P5QL PRO Motherboard (intel P43 Express Chipset)
Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 @ 2.80GHz
nVidia Geforce 9800GT
4gb RAM
have a soundblaster soundcard but i doubt that matters.
Powersupply - NeoPower 650 Blue
650W

I have checked the tempretures and voltages during gameplay and they seem OK.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Hi and welcome to TSG.

Firstly, lots of fans doesn't necessarily mean efficient cooling :)

This sounds like a heat related problem to me and very similar to the problem I had with my 8800GT, that also wasn't showing any particularly adverse temps!

What are the actual temperatures, just wondering as you say

After this has happened the PC wil not respond to any commands. I have tried to check the tempretures but i cant as the PC wont respond.
then at the end you say

I have checked the tempretures and voltages during gameplay and they seem OK.
I would definately try running it with the side off the case to allow a lot more heat out, possibly even putting a small fan blowing into the case and see how it runs then.

·
Registered
8 Posts
if you havent tried this, which im sure you have check and see if you have the latest driver. If thats not it check the temp, and have you overclocked it or checked to see if its been overclocked, i had a gfx that i over clocked, to much, and it did what yours is doing. So i would do alittle investigating hopefully one of these can help you. sry if it dont

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Kirklrstat

Have you gotten your problem sorted out yet?

I have had this exact same problem very recently. I play alot of Crysis Wars online and I also play Dota Online.

Sometimes I would Play a game for about 1 hour, sometimes more, sometimes less, but it froze everyday, sometimes it would only freeze once that day but it only froze in windows once or twice...

I battled with this one for a whole month. I ran every test know to man lol. I ran Hard-drive checks, Ram Checks, Antivirus checks, I updated my BIOS, and all my drivers on my system...Heck I even replaced my power supply because I thought my graphics card and my motherboard was not recieving enough power.

It happen in games alot, or while benchmarking my pc.

In the end it turned out to be one of my Ram chips that was working but it was causing alot of Hard-Faults, whick under pressure would cause the system to freeze and also caused sound glitches in games often. some games wouldnt even start up. Eventually the RAM chip went completely faulty and started giving blue screens

Hope this helps

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you are running Vista and you have resource monitor...its found underneath the taskmanager in performance tab...the check out the amount of hard faults your Memory is giving...Mine was over 200 per second.
I'm not sure what the normal amount is but im sure it shouldn't be that high.
The strange thing is I ran a RAM test and it checked out fine. So it only happened after being loaded for a certain amount of time. Obviously as the RAM heated up it became less stable as time went on...and the game also became more intense as you play longer especially if the game starts off slowly and becomes more intensive with gunfire and bombs going off left right and centre

Hope I have helped. Luckily RAM isnt to expensive to replace. Borrow somebodies RAM for the day and test it out

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi guys thanks for the quick replies.
Im gonna try playing now with the side off to see how it goes.
All my dirvers are up to date =D.
And just so you know, the graphics card is not overclocked.
Thanks again for the replys, ill reply back telling you what happens.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey again,
Tanis i think you have solved it.
WItht he side of the case taken off, it has been running fine for 4 hours straight. A new record on Annon 1404 for me :)
After taking off the side i saw there is a plastic moulding on it to fit another fan. DO you think fitting a fan here would fix my problem? also it has a grate behind it so it would work =D.
Also if you think this will fix it, got any reccomendations for type of fan?
The space is around 117mm /118mm.
Thanks so much for your help.:)

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
What fans have you currently got in the case and what type of case is it? A fairly standard setup is a 120mm fan blowing in at the front(bottom of the case), CPU and GPU fans with the PSU blowing out the back (top of the case). Some people put an additional fan blowing out the back if they have room.

The side vent is often used to mount a 'funnel' that sits above the CPU fan and helps to direct the hot air from the CPU heatsink directly out of the case.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.