Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure what I did but emptied recycle bin and after that could not use this monster . Its a KTX computer with windows98 . Recently replaced modem and was working better than ever . Now when turned on desktop appears then illegal operation , "spool 32 caused a stack fault in module shdocvw.dll at 0177:71701aeb" . I hit close and another pops up saying "mstask caused a stack fault in module kernel32.dll at 017:bff9a9c" again I hit close , norton anti virus appears at bottom left of screen . Another illegal operation saying "explorer caused stack fault in module shdocvw.dll at 177:71701aeb" . Again I hit close and then have to hit control , alt , delete to get to shut down . Tried to reinstall windows98 but still same problems . You all were a great help before . I've confidence in you folks . HELP!!! :confused:

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
1) Uninstall Norton
2) Run a repair of IE
3) Test in safe mode

If you have no issue in safe mode, then use msconfig to diagnostic issue. If issue is still present in safe mode, then
rename iemigrat.dll and reinstall windows.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can not get into machine except maybe dos if told how . Right now I,m looking at screen that says safe mode in all four corners but no buttons . Also when booted into safe mode "explorer caused stack fault msg came on . If you could tell how to delete norton and repair will do . Thanks for your help .:confused:

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
If you familiar with DOS command you can try to change the windows shell to progman. Then repair IE from there.

To do so, restart the system to command prompt only and type the following commands:

cd windows <enter>

"edit system.ini"

Change "shell= Progman.exe" and save it

Restart into Program Manager and choose File -> Run -> control appwiz.cpl and try to run a repair of IE.

NOTE: The command that you need to run are in " quotes. Just run them without using the "

The other option is to rename iemigrat.dll and try to reinstall windows 98. Renaming iemigrat.dll will allow windows installation to replace the IE files. The easyest one would be to clean install the OS. If that is not an option , then you could perform a parallel installation to retrive the data.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not very computer literate but if you are patient with me , the clean install works with me . I'm starting with the machine shut off . Now what ?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Do you have any data that need to be backed up?

If not is very simple to perform a clean install.

Here is what you need:
1) Windows 98 boot disk
2) Windows 98 installation cd
3)The installation cd for all the applications

NOTE: Clean installing would wipe out or your data. You will need to reinstall all the applications

Please let me know if you would like to proceed so I can post step by step instructions

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nothing we need any longer . We've a new machine we use for work so the old one is just to play . Have orig win98 cd , boot disc , driver discs . I'm willing .

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
A) Insert the boot disk you created and start the PC
(B) When you boot to an A:\> prompt format your Drive C: partition:

Type FORMAT C: and press [ENTER]
Press [ENTER] again when prompted for Volume Label

Please let me know if the system is not booting from floppy

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
at the a prompt type fdisk <enterr>

The next screen should be something similar to:

Your computer has a disk larger than 512 MB. This version of Windows includes improved support for large disks, resulting in more efficient

Select "Yes"

Then choose option 4 :
"Display partition information"

and make sure that Current fixed disk drive: 1 has Status is A and Type is PRI DOS.

If everything checkout correctly you can exit fdisk.

At this point we are going to create a new directory on the hard-drive and copy the installation files from the cd to the HD. Then launch the installation from the CD. We are doing so to prevent eventual issue with your cd-rom.

Here are the steps.

at the command prompt type:

C: <enter> (take us to the C: prompt)
md win98 <enter> (this will create a directory called win98)

Then reboot off the windows 98 bootdisk with cd-rom support.
( Make sure that the windows 98 cd is not in the drive)

Once you reach the command prompt, you will need to access the windows directory on windows98 cd. Do you know what is the drive letter for the CD? Note if the drive letter was D: in windows, then you will need to choose E: because the RAM drive.

ex. type:
E: <enter>

then type dir <enter> do you see a win98 or windows directory?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
pc wiz ,,

Sorry bout delay in reply ,,, got windows reinstalled with minor problems . (I hope) I'll be around for an hour or so then won't be back till Sunday night . (work during the day)

Question , got Linskys network card installed , do not plan on networking . Can I delete the network neighborhood icon off the desktop ?

Minor problem #1 -- vnetsup.vxd , vredir.vxd , and dfs.vxd warnings that they are missing . The machine seems to be working great except I need to hit any key to continue the loading process .

Minor problem #2 -- no sound --- in device manager I've got "other devices" , there is a "?" and a "!" . The device is "pci multimedia audio device" . When I hit properties I get "drivers not installed(code28)" . Still have another cd here with "sound driver for yamaha chips " and "sound driver for ess chips" . Could one of them be what I need ? If so I have been unable to figure out how to load them . There may be more questions to come but believe we're looking pretty good .

Thanks again for your time

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.