Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to these forums so please forgive me if I've posted in the wrong section and let me know if there's any other information I should include. I've been having this problem for a while and have searched a lot of places and not yet found a solution so I'm hoping maybe someone here could help me :)

Not sure exactly what background info to include so I'll just try and explain the basics. I'm running WinXP. I've got a keyboard that connects to a ps/2 port.

The Problem: keyboard locks up, and then there seems to be a beeping alarm noise coming from the computer (not through the speakers) When I reboot, I get the error message: Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt.
<windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

The Variables: sometimes if I jiggle the keyboard cord, it'll do one of a few things, sometimes in random combinations - stop making the alarm noise, make a different alarm noise (louder or softer, beeping faster or slower) the lights for numlock, capslock and scroll lock will blink as though it's getting power or resetting, or it'll unlock and start working again. When I reboot, sometimes it'll keep beeping and give me the error, sometimes it reboots and works just fine, sometimes it boots fine but then my keyboard won't work or be recognized. If I boot with the WinXP CD in, sometimes it'll boot from disk, other times just give me the error again.

What I've tried and the success I've had: jiggling the keyboard cords, rebooting, rebooting with the WinXP CD, unplugging and replugging in the hard drive (this seems to get things working once in a while) I've switched keyboards and tried another ps/2 keyboard and the exact same thing happened. I checked the fans, and they all seem to be working and nothing seems too hot to the touch. I checked in Device Manager and of the times my keyboard is recognized, it says that the device is working properly. I did find what I think are conflicts (little ! next to the entry) for a few things - Multimedial controller, Comport3, Mass Storage Controller and Game port for creative. I'm not sure what to do about any of those, or if the issue is even related.

Soooo.... sorry to be so longwinded. Please let me know if there's anything else I should try, or any other info it would be helpful for me to include to diagnose the problem. Thank's so much for your help! :)

- Airmide

·
Registered
22,468 Posts
1. Does the keyboard lock up only after the OS boots?

2. Can you boot with a simple DOS disk and just start typing. Doesn't matter what, you are just trying to see if the problem is with the keyboard or the OS.

3. If from DOS there are still problems with multiple known working keyboards, it could also be a defective PS2 port on the motherboard. Another option in this case would be to get a USB keyboard. The only problem would be if you needed to get to CMOS or otherwise use the keyboard outside of the OS.

If you get an error that NTOSKRNL not found:

Insert and boot from your WindowsXP CD.
At the first R=Repair option, press the R key
Press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the installation of Windows you want to repair.
Typically this will be #1
Change to the drive that has the CD ROM.
CD i386
expand ntkrnlmp.ex_ C:\Windows\System32\ntoskrnl.exe
If WindowsXP is installed in a different location, just make the necessary change to C:\Windows
Take out the CD ROM and type exit

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the ideas! First let me try and answer your questions :)

1. The keyboard locks up for apparently no reason while I'm in the middle of doing whatever - browsing the internet, chatting on yahoo, writing a grocery list in notepad.

2. I don't currently have a DOS bootup disk and I'm not sure how to make one so I haven't been able to try this yet. (though I suspect since I can't type any key to boot from CD and can't hit R to repair in the windows CD, that may already give me my answer hehe)

3. I'm going to the store today and buy a USB keyboard or ps/2-USB converter....I'll check back in and let you know if this makes any difference :)

With the ntoskrnl.exe error and repairing from the windows CD....I've tried that....problem is that the keyboard won't work there either, so I can't hit R or any of the other options. Though after it gets to that point and I reboot, the next time it usually will bypass the error and let me into my desktop. However most of the times that happens, it still won't seem to recognize my keyboard, and if I reboot again from there it'll often send me back into the error loop.

But thank you for explaining what to do after I hit R...I'm sure I'll be coming back here to reference your instructions when I am able to get in to try and repair things :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Latest update on this issue:

I bought a ps/2 - usb convertor. When I hooked it up, the computer was still shrieking and beeping at me, but I was able to jiggle the keyboard cord in the ps/2 slot and reboot enough times to get past the error screen and get my desktop to load up. From there, I put the keyboard back into the usb convertor and my computer seemed to recognize it just fine. Now the keyboard seems to work great until I have to reboot...which is at least a great improvement.

But, when I reboot...it still sends me into the error screen over and over again until I'm able to put the keyboard back in the ps/2 port and jiggle it to get it to stop beeping and then sometimes it'll load and let me into my desktop after rebooting several times.

I did a bit more research....decided to do a search for ntoskrnl.exe on my machine, and also my boyfriend's machine to compare. His only entry is for the c:\windows\system32. I had several entries including the c:\windows\system32, c:\windows\lastgood , c:\windows\drivercache, c:\windows\drivercache\i386\driver.cab and c:\windows\drivercache\i386\sp1.cab

I sent myself my boyfriends good copy of ntoskrnl.exe and deleted all the entries of mine I could find. However, the ones in drivercache\i386 (driver.cab and sp1.cab) only allowed me options to copy or extract. Out of curiousity I tried to extract the driver.cab one to my desktop and my computer immediatly started the alarm again and locked up till I went through the rebooting process several more times. I then logged back in and did a few other things, then a google search for ntoskrnl.exe driver cache and the moment I hit enter my keyboard and computer locked again - I'm wondering if that was purely coincidence.

So, it looks as though maybe I've come closer to discovering the root of the problem, though I still have no idea how to fix it. :p

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,
Apart from the tech jargon try this.
Disconnect your mouse and keyboard from the back of the machine then try and reboot.
At this point mine sprang into life although I could do nothing with it.However it identifies that you have a problem with either your mouse or keyboard which are connected to the mother board at the same point.
If it booted up without them in try clearing the dust from both the computer and the sockets and putting them back in. If that doesnt work try either the mouse or the keyboard individually to see which one is the problem.
It is the most simple remedy to what was a very annoying problem. Please let me know if it works. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.