Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys my first post. I do not have computer savy, but I really need help. This was my son's computer. He died last year from complications of cystic fibrosis. He built this computer, and he was a big online gamer. my problem is I can't get past the blue screen NTLDR missing press ctrl alt del to restart, When i do it just brings me back to the same screen. It won't let me go to safe mode (like I would know what to do when I got there :rolleyes:) the only F key that would work was F4 contineously being pecked, windows finally loaded. but everytime i reboot the computer the NTLDR... screen comes up so the I reboot using the F4 key. please help.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Do you have the XP Installation CD for that computer?

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
yes, but it tells me I have a newer version already on my computer and won't let me use it.
You should be able to use the XP CD to boot into the Recovery Console.

Insert the Windows XP CD into your CD drive and restart your computer. If you are prompted, select any options required to start (boot) from the CD.
When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the prompts. Select the repair or recover option by pressing R.
If you have a dual-boot or multiboot system, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
When you are prompted, type the Administrator password.

Once in the Recovery Console, type

fixboot

and hit Enter.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did what you said and it took me back to the NTLDR is missing screen again and wouldn't let me go any further. I have learned if I peck F4 continuously while the computer is booting widows will come up. But that doesn't fix the problem.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Okay, do that again, only this time instead of typing fixboot, type

fixmbr

and hit Enter.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm sorry, When I inserted it the first time it did not take me to the recovery console. It's like the CD wasn't there it just went to the NTLDR is missing screen and no further

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Leave the CD in the drive, and restart the computer again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did what you said and it never recognized the CD it went to the NTLDR screen and no farther. I tried several times. I found a MS DOS boot disk in my sons computer stuff but when I inserted it, it said that it wasn't formatted and ask if I wanted to format it, if I said yes everything on it would be erased, so I said no.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
We need to change to boot order in the BIOS. There is a key that can be pressed when the machine is first starting that will open the BIOS instead of trying to boot to Windows.

Since you say that the only F key that works is F4, then perhaps the delete (or del) key will let you enter BIOS. You can try that, but before you do, visit the following link. It shows a typical BIOS screen, so you'll have an idea of what you're looking at.

This link gives you the basics of changing the boot sequence. You want the CD-ROM first in the boot sequence.

Let me know if you can get this done, and then we'll proceed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK the delete key took me to BOIS, this is what was on my boot screen

REMOVABLE DEVICE [LEGACY FLOPPY]
IDE HARD DRIVE [SAMSUNG SPO411N]
ATAP CD-ROM [ASUS DVD-E616P2]

PLUG & PLAY O/S [NO]
RESET CONFIGURATION DATA [NO]
QUICK POWER ON SELF TEST [ENABLED]
BOOT-UP FLOPPY SEEK [DISABLED]
FULL SCREEN LOGO [ENABLED]
INTERRUPT MODE [APIC

I copied every thing down and exited. when I reboot having to use F4 after the windows sign o screen,the computer automatically shuts down after 60 sec with this error message number "1073741819" or a blue screen comes up. so now what? Is there hope or do I need to give up. I am very thankful for our help and greatly appreciate your patience.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Go back into BIOS and your boot screen. Highlight your CD-ROM drive. There should be instructions in the right pane explaining how to change its position in the boot sequence. You want to move it to the top, so that it is first in the boot sequence.

Once you get the CD-ROM as the first boot device, you can boot from the CD-ROM and choose Repair at the first options screen. This will load the Recovery Console.

Once your in the Recovery Console, type

fixboot

and hit enter.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
When your restarted the computer, did you get an initial black screen with the message "Press any key to boot from CD"?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well it finally let me to the recovery console but before i can type fixboot a blue screen comes up.It saids

USBPORT.SYS ADDRESS F4B29800 BASE AT F4BO8OOO DATESTAMP 480254ce

this comes up every time. What does it mean and can I fix it??

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
When your restarted the computer, did you get an initial black screen with the message "Press any key to boot from CD"?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yes it did windows started loading drivers, buses ...then the screen that ask what i wanted to do, i typed R,the recovery console come up but before i could type fix boot the blue screen with the message
USBPORT.SYS ADDRESS FB29800 BASE AT F4B0E000 DATESTAMP 480254ce

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.