Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My main NT machine cannot see my local network. The problem is not card or cabling. Forgive the long message, but I want to skip past the fixes I've already tried.

I have networked four machines in a workgroup called, let's say "Tollbooth.", with IP addresses in the 10.###.###.### range, incrementing the last digit, as described in all refence books (the IP addresses have been checked, verified, and rechecked) and using the same subnet mask (checked, etc.).

The machines are --
1. GreatOne, the Micron, NT 4.0 SP6a, diaup modem. 3Com 509 Combo NIC with latest drivers and diagnostics, RAS, NetBEUI, TCP/IP, WINS client. The NIC adapter is bound to all three protocols but not to RAS services. I have two RA WAN Wrappers listed; the one bound to everything but NetBIOS, the other bound only to "RA WAN Wrapper" [?]
When I choose Network Neighborhood, GreatOne can see the workgroup, but not the machines, NOT EVEN ITSELF.

2. Slippage,Toshiba Portable, Win 98, RealSYS MCMCIA card, Win 98 dialup for builtin modem. It can see [4] Zipper, and [2] itself. Cannot see [1] or [3].

3. Shapeless, handbuilt, NT 4.0 recently reinstalled and then updated with SP6a. 64 megs of RAM, 120mHz, LinkSYS card. Networked successfully before crash and SP6a (when running SP4). Can see [2] and [4], but it can't run Server services because "not enough server storage is available." (I have tired every legal setting for IRPStackSize [4-12] to no avail.) So it is invisible. My hunch is that the problem is SP6a, and I'm going to back it out to SP5. This one is a clunker and not a big concern.

4. Zipper, Gateway 450, 256 megs of RAM, no modem (hence can't install RAS), no RAS. Running 3Com 905C. Can see [2] Slippage and [4] itself. Cannot see [1] or [3], but its 3Com Diagnostics confirm a working network if only [1] or [3] are with it on the hub.

When I run 3Com diagnostics on [1], GreatOne, the NIC checks out and the network checks out, no matter how many other machines (at least one) I have linked into the hub or who is in which hub socket. I have tried disabling illogical services and bindings,such as RAS to the NIC, and allowing all default bindings. I have completely uninstalled my virus checker, my system tools, and ZoneAlarm. No change makes any difference at all. It just ignores me. It can't see any computers in the neighborhood, including itself. I suspected an incompatibility with RAS, but I don't want to remove RAS unless I have to, and this machine is the internet connector. BTW, I am NOT trying to share the connection across the network.

Any ideas?
Mick McAllister

·
Registered
8 Posts
Check to see if the "Computer Browser" service is running on the NT machine Great One (under Control Panel/Services). If it's not start it. If it was running then stop and restart the service. If that fails remove great One from the workgroup and re-add it.

As for Shapeless I would uninstall and reinstall the service pack to see if that fixes the problem.

I would also dump NetBEUI on allv the machines since you don't actually need it when running TCP/IP.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After posting this query, I did some more digging and decided to remove and reinstall the new 3Com drivers, because the problem didn't exist before I upgraded. I discovered that the 3Com Diagnostics tool will report that the NIC and the Network are Ok, even if the NIC is set to the wrong I/O address. And of course, the network can't see the NIC if it's set to the wrong address.

Some new definition of "diagnostic" I am unfamiliar with. The second install chose a different I/O address, and the network is now humming. Of course, the 3Com Diagnostics tool is complaining because my NIC is at the "wrong" I/O address. Tough.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Mick

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.