Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 20 GB Maxtor hard rive to replace my old 2.4 GB hard drive on my 200 MHz Athlon processor computer. I tried to install the hard drive and the computer never recognizes the drive! I've hooked it up as primary and slave on both of my cables and still once I go into windows 98, the hard drive is not recognized on the "My Computer" window. What do I need to do to get this drive installed? I was going to replace the 2.4 GB with the new 20 GB drive because I am out of bays so I have to somehow get the thing to work. I apologize for the babbling but I just cannot seem to get the darn thing to work. Any help would be appreciated! Besides, if worse comes to worse I could always pay to have it professionally done, at an outrageous rate I'm sure:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried booting with the floppy disk that came with the hard drive but all that happens is that the screen says "Reading SYstem Information" and nothing happens, even after one hour.

·
Retired Administrator
103,703 Posts
Ok, are you going to transfer everything from you old hard drive to the new one?

If so, first off, make sure you have the new hard drive jumpered as MASTER, connected to the same ribbon with the old hard drive which should be jumpered as SLAVE....do you understand the jumper theory? If not, post back.....

Next, when the computer is restarting, you need to enter your bios setup to 'tell' it about your new hard drive and re-recognize your old hard drive.......once you've done that, place the Maxtor setup floppy in the a: drive and continue to boot.......you should be presented with a setup screen and be able to transfer your old drive to your new drive...

If you run across anything that doesn't sound like this plan, POST BACK before going further.....

And BTW, I thought I had the ultimate patience.....an hour eh???

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My problem is setting up the BIOS. Where do I get the necessary info to tell the BIOS to recognize my hard drive? I understand the ribbon thing with the master and slave but the whole BIOS thing baffles me. Thanks for the help so far!

·
Retired Administrator
103,703 Posts
When your computer is restarting there is a key you need to press to enter bios setup....most often it is DEL, Compaqs F 10, other computers F 1 or F 2....if you can't get there, post your computer information and someone will help.

And BTW, again, Welcome to TSG!!!! :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
O.K., so I know how to access the BIOS screen, but just what do I need to do to get the computer to recognize my new hard drive? I just realized another problem I have, that is that I don't have my Windows 98 system CD. If I transfer everything over to my new hard drive, I don't have to worry about re-installing Windows, right?

·
Retired Administrator
103,703 Posts
Once you get there, you are going to have to look around for things that look like hard drive / ide information....some bioses have a 're-recognize' button, like F 3, others you have to choose user or default or auto......let us know what your choices are.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hit DEL when the computer started to boot up and got a blue screen with options such as CMOS settings and BIOS information. Neither contained anything involving IDE but I did find another category that said "IDE/HDD Auto Detection." This screen brought up choices for each of my primary master/slave and secondary master/slave settings. My primary master is where my hard drive is and it gave me three choices to select from under this heading. Some of the categories listed were "size, Cylinders, Heads, Precomp, Landz, Sector, and Mode" Now that I know where to go, what do I need to do?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Where do I see if it shows the size of the drives correctly? All of the readings that I took were with the old hard drive hooked up. My new hard drive was not connected when I went into the IDE/HDD detection screen.

·
Retired Administrator
103,703 Posts
Ok, I think you're trying to make this more difficult than it needs to be.....

I assumed you had already hooked up the new drive.....

Go back and re-read my post indicating to set the new one up as master, etc.

Once you have BOTH drives in the machine, jumpered correctly, now go to your bios....it should be showing both drives, numbers for each of them, and the sizes.....if your cdrom is hooked up....it should also pick up an ATAPI device, CDROM, something similar.

Should be info for IDE 1, IDE 2, etc. or something similar.

Save changes....and reboot with the Maxtor disk in the floppy drive....

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Hi,

Just to add in a suggestion, when I threw a 20gb Western Dig. drive into an old computer, all I had to do was apply the latest BIOS update, then format the drive. After rebooting, Windows was able to see the drive OK.
Maybe a firmware update is required (I noticed that this is a 200 MHz system).

Good Luck

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Hi,

You'll have to find out what kind of BIOS you have. This info should show up when you're first booting up the system, or you might be able to find out more info upon entering setup. It might be an Award BIOS, or AMIBIOS or something like that. Then go to the BIOS manufacturer's website, and you'll be able to download the latest upgrade from them. Save this update to your desktop, then double-click it to create the necessary disk. Then stick this disk into your floppy drive, and use it to boot up the system. This should update your BIOS, and possibly aid you in getting your 20GB drive recognized. (Here's a couple of links to try, you'll have to fill out a form first).

Good Luck

http://www.unicore.com/biosupgrades/upgradenow.cfm

·
Registered
28 Posts
Here's a few steps that you can try to get it to work.

1) Check in the BIOS to see if it registers. Press F10 when you turn your computer on to get into the BIOS settings.
2) If it is registering, then boot up Windows and go into the Computer Management option in the Control Panel. Go to Disk Management on the right hand side (should be towards the bottom) and then check to find if the disk is there.
3) If it is there, right click it, Format it, then disgnate it a drive letter (IE Main disk is "C:" Can have it as "D:" or whatever is available.)

Then POOF! Should work.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.