Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Trusted Advisor
85,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago, I worked on a friend's Windows ME desktop for the first time. Her computer was having frequent freezeups and connection problems. She called me and cried out for help because she was about ready to throw it out the door. She admitted that she had done nothing to maintain it since buying it 4 years earlier.

I spent almost 7 hours working on it. No Windows ME critical and recommended updates had been installed. There were over 2,000 temporary files present. There were over 100 spyware files present. There was a virus(The factory-installed Norton 2000 had never been updated). The startup list was severely bloated. Disk Defragmenter had never been run. I can go on and on.

By the time I left there, the freezeups and connection problems were resolved, the startup time was much shorter, the system resources were much higher, a new antivirus program had been installed, and the overall performance increase was much more noticable. She was one happy lady.

The purpose of this post is not to pat myself on the back. The purpose of this post is to try and encourage you to maintain your computer. If there's something that you can't do yourself, come here and let us know, but don't ignore maintaining your computer. A computer user is only happy when their computer is running like it should.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Well said, Frank!

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
I cleaned one up about 3 weeks ago that had just under 18,000 Temporary Internet Files, somewhere around 500 cookies, between SpyBot and Ad-Aware 163 entries were found, when the HJT scan log was dumped into a MS Word doc it was 5+ pages, the resources on startup were around 37%, and on and on.

Since it was a laptop, and they generally require a few more things in the startups than a tower, I was only able to get her up to 80 or 82% on startup with a newly updated AV and new firewall installed, but a lot better than 37%. Bootup time was reduced by a minute and 17 seconds.

Gotta love a good challenge :)

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
How to Delete in DOS and be done with it. Quick. Efficient

Start > Shutdown and Restart in MS_DOS mode Depending on your OS you may need a boot disk to start in DOS. (This procedure is for Win 95/98/ME)

Once in DOS type in the following commands exactly:

Optional step: dir make a note of the amount of free space

1. C:
2. cd \ (This will insure that you are at the C:\> prompt, if not...type in C: )
3. DELTREE /Y RECYCLED
4. SMARTDRV.EXE (This will make the deletions run faster)

5. CD \WINDOWS
6. DELTREE /Y COOKIES
7. DELTREE /Y HISTORY
8. DELTREE /Y RECENT
9. DELTREE /Y TEMP
10. DELTREE /Y TEMPOR~1

Fear not, all of these folders will be recreated when you reboot windows.

(Depending on when the last time you cleaned these out it could take a fair amount of time even with Smartdvr enabled. Relax and get a cup of coffee.)

If you have never deleted Temporary Internet Files in the past, my guess is that you can recover 50 - 500 meg of HD space. Maybe more if you have never done it since day one.

The most space I have ever recovered from someone's PC was a whopping 2.3 gig.

Optional step: dir make a note of the amount of free space The difference between this and the first time is the amount of space you have recovered.

While you are still in DOS, I would suggest running scandisk to check the hard drive for any errors.

11. Scandisk

Once scandisk is done, reboot

ctrl-alt-delete to reboot to windows

Oh, by the way, boot time is slightly improved and you will notice a marked reduction in time to run a virus scan and defrag.

Now that you have gotten rid of that "land fill" called Temporary Internet Files, you may want to reboot into Safe Mode and run defrag.

12. Next power down and then as you start up hold down the crtl key (depending on manufacture some use the F8 key. If ctrl doesn't work, try again using the F8 key tapping it 3 to 5 times per second.) Which ever way is successful you should now have a black screen with a menu of 5 or 6 choices. Select Safe Mode.

Once in Safe Mode, click on Start > Run and type in defrag. Defragging in Safe Mode is faster because defrag isn't interrupted by the windows background disk and "house keeping" calls.

This will take some time (several hours) depending on the size of your HD and the speed of your PC in general.

The above procedure will get rid of 90 to 95% of the trash on your HD. For a more comprehensive list of files to delete see Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips in general and specifically the excellent article on "Throwing Out The Trash".

Good Luck. Let us know how it works for you.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
Originally posted by ///m_spec:
What temp files are ok to delete?

In the folder temp can i delete everything in there??
All temp files are safe to delete, including any sub-folders within the Temp folder. IF you delete from within Windows instead of DOS there will always be a few temp files that are in use at the time and you will not be able to delete. That is why I suggest booting into DOS (not just a DOS window).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.