Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings. Running Windows XP.
I installed Office 2003, including Outlook quite awhile ago.
Everything was just dandy, until yesterday.
Now whenever I try to start ANY office application, it starts out with the window that says "Preparing to iInstall", followed by the window "Cannot find O:", followed by the message "XYZ Not installed for current user. Please install..." Outhook does open with the right stuff to start, but then degenerates to this symptom.
There is an approach in Vista that deals with the "User Account Control", but I am running XP, not Vista.
I have no problems working wiyh the registry, or chnaging configuration files, if that is where the problem is.
Any thoughts? Thanks

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
If you don't already have SP2, try installing that - go to http://officeupdate.microsoft.com and download any applicable updates.

If you already have SP2, check under control panel and add/remove programs. Highlight MS Office and click "change", and choose the option to reinstall/repair. You will need the CD for this.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I am running with SP2.
I thought about the "repair" approach. However, I am hesitant to go that way. Won't doing the repair from the original CD remove all the updates that I have installed?

·
Registered
4,916 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the links. I had not seen the first one when I searched the KB at M$.
However, the first link only addresses build tag 9. I am at 11.
The second link addresses XP and 2002, based on the applicable products list. No 2003:mad:

So It looks like I will having to be doing a re-install....
I would rather do a registry mod, but.....

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Status: Had to do a re-install AFTER removing the Office program, and deleting all the non-removed files from the Office folder. Then deleted the folder itself.
Updates after install were 13.

I did re-boot after each step.
Things are working as expected.
Still not happy - problem resolved, but I still do not know the cause. That is what bugs me.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Solution for "Has Not Been Installed for the Current User" - this is the fix!

This has happened to me twice in the last year or so, once after running a
registry cleaner, and another time after running a "unnecessary file cleaner". :?.

All my MS Offic apps (Excel, outlook, Work, Powerpoint, Publisher) would not
run but prompted (program) "as Not Been Installed for the Current User"

Arrgh! Here is the fix that worked for me:

Go to control panel, add remove programs icon,
select the 'change or remove" option,
then select MS Office 2003
Then click the link "click here for support information".
Then click the "repair" button.

I put my installation DVD in drive but was propted to browse to a folder that contained "PROI11N.MSI"

I searched and found this file in a hdden folder C:\MSOCache\All Users\90000409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9

Was prompted to wait while Windos configure MS Office.

All MS Office applications then functioned (no reboot or CD key entry needed).
Note that Outlook prompted that it detected a new account and whether I wanted to import it.
I declined as i could already see my emails.

Life is good again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.