Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks just completed new build and everything working fine. However once i installed the drivers for my Nvidia 6600gt gfx card it came up saying that there was not enough power going to my card and it automaticall reduces the settings to a screen refresh rate of 60hz!! i have a 400 wt power supply with the normal atx connectors to mobo, 1 cdrom, 1 sata hdd, 1 floppyand 2 case fans with leds. Should the 400 watt supply not be enough for this? Cheers :)

·
Super Moderator
46,552 Posts
Generally 400W would be enough for that system. With a ps, quality is MUCH more important than a wattage rating. If you have a low quality 400W ps, you most likely will have problems. Post the make of your ps.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope no power connector it is entirely powered through the AGP socket. The psu make is Asaka which came recommeded to me. Is there anything that could be done as i don't want to sacrifice the leds on the case as they are low wattage and look cool :cool: . Cheers for replies. :D

·
Super Moderator
46,552 Posts
I searched and could not find any info about that ps. Quality brands are Antec, Enermax, Enlight, Coolmax, and Sparkle. There are others, however those are what I use in my builds.

Post exact specs for your system.

·
Super Moderator
46,552 Posts
As a test, disconnect your cd drive, floppy drive, and case fans. See if your card is receiving enough power now. If it is, you have the answer; get a better ps.

·
Super Moderator
46,552 Posts
They do not publish any specs on how much amperage each rail has. For an AMD64, I like to see a min of 20A on the 12V rail. BTW I have the same board you do with a 3500+ and run a 550W Sparkle ps.

·
Registered
17,584 Posts
joeheathuk said:
Nope no power connector it is entirely powered through the AGP socket. The psu make is Asaka which came recommeded to me. Is there anything that could be done as i don't want to sacrifice the leds on the case as they are low wattage and look cool :cool: . Cheers for replies. :D
Well, if it is AGP, Google suggests it has a HDD power connector on it.
See the link below?
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2277

PCI Express does not need it though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.