Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never before in 4yrs did I ever get that message until today. All I have added/done to my computer is I switched from dial-up to cable internet and installed Norton Internet Security 2004.
How/where do I go to find out how much free memory I have at any given moment in time? Would HijackThis show it? Greg & Grimm

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My Belarc Advise readout says I have 3 memory sockets empty. Could I just have 3 more 256M Modules installed to help my problem?

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I don't know what version of windows you are using but the older versions will not recognize more than 512mb. I would add another stick for sure. It will make a big difference. If you are using XP than you can add even more(I think also under win 2000 it will be recognized).

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am running Windows ME

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I don't think ME will recognize more than 512 mb of memory. Put a stick of 256 in and it will make a big difference. If you upgrade windows later to XP, you will want to upgrade your memory again at that time. Xp seems to be a memory hog.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So what you are saying is to put a 256M in one of those 3 empty slots. How about just putting 3 of them in the 3 empty slots. Can I put those in myself or is this a complicated thing to do. I am no geek only a clicker.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
It is real easy to do. They are slotted so they will only go in one way unless you force them. You can add 3 but will not get the full benefit of them unless you upgrade windows also. The thing is you would already be prepared if you decided to upgrade windows.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I upgrade windows which one should I install? Also, will I be able install a new Windows without screwing up everything else on my computer or does everything have to be re-installed.?

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Some people will disagree with me, I'm sure, but I have windpws xp and have had no problems with it. I did have to update a couple drivers to accommodate xp but was no problem, Just a matter of going to the right site and getting them. The xp disk I have is an upgrade disk so I did not lose anything. There are a few older programs that xp does not like though. Most of those are taken gave of by getting updates.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When I get the message 'shut down all programs running in the background' where/how do I figure out what programs are indeed running in the back ground? Pray tell.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Hi guys~ :)

Was going to start a new thread to ask this but found you had this open. I am recieving 2 128 sticks of RDRAM RIMMS this afternoon-I am maxed out with the 128. It seems simple enought to pop it in-I have put in a memory card before-is it as simple as that? Also after its popped in and I start up the computer-will the pc automatically recognize it? I heard I had to reinstall aol 9.0 after instalation for the program to recognize the new memory. I have 4 slots-2 occupied with 64 and am getting 2 128's my ram has to be installed in equals-just plug and play? :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.