Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently got Norton Systemworks 2005 Premier which I bought off of Ebay (yes, it's a legal version). On Sunday I ran Norton Ghost to backup my entire system. I backed it up both to an empty partition on this machine and also copied the backups to another Win98 machine on my home network.

I then went ahead to install SP2 (the reason I got Systemworks Premier with Ghost) and it locked up in the middle and I had to reboot. Upon doing the reboot it told me the system was unstable and to uninstall SP2 (which I gather was partially installed).
I completed the uninstall of SP2 from Add/Remove Programs and rebooted. My system settings and other things were then all screwed up.

So now I want to restore the system (C: partition with WinXP on it, included) to the state it was in when I ran the backup. Only problem I have is that it looks like my purchase of Systemworks Premier didn't come with a Symantec Recovery Disk CD for me to boot from in order to run the Restore from a bootable CD.

What other options do I have and/or how can I obtain a Recovery CD? Can Ghost restore a drive over a network?
Can I install Systemworks Premier on my dad's WinXP machine and then run Ghost and use the restore files I copied to the other computer to have the Ghost on that computer restore the primary partition of this computer? :confused:

Please help! I really want my system back to the way it was before I attempted the SP2 install and I want to get it done ASAP.

(note: I did try to use XP's Restore utility, and it wouldn't restore to any previous states)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know what you are trying to say there, fish.
What I'm trying to do is restore my system to the backup I did before I attempted to install SP2. That way I can try re-installing SP2.

But I don't have the Recovery Disk which is needed to boot using, in order to use Ghost to restore the entire system.
I need to know if I can restore the system over a network with Ghost running on a different machine.

·
Registered
21,334 Posts
If you made an image all you need to do is make a bootable ghost diskette and restore the image you created earlier with an image to partition operation. If you can still boot to Windoze you can make the diskette from the Ghost application.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How do I make a bootable disk from Ghost? I tried looking for that option and couldn't find anything.

Though a blootable floppy disk won't help me, since I don't have a floppy drive on this computer. I would need to be able to make either a bootable CD or use a Flash Drive (I have a Viking 256MB USB 2.0 drive).

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm going to continue my problem on the original thread, even though the issue is a little different.

I got the company I bought Systemworks Premier from to ship me the Norton Ghost 9.0 CD so that I can boot to the Symantec Recovery Envoronment on it in order to attempt to restore my entire system from the backup.

My problem now (and it's getting very frustrating) is that the software won't show me my hard drive. It boots to the Recovery Environment just fine. It can see my DVD-RW drive just fine. It has it's 2.3MB RamDrive just fine. BUT IT WON'T SEE MY HARD DRIVE! :confused:

I have the system backup spread over 10 CD-R's. Ghost can recognise the backup files, but when I try to choose where to restore them to it doesn't give me an option to restore it onto my 'C' drive.

Remember, my HD is in 4 partitions ('C' being the OS and other pre-installed stuff, 'D' being for Programs I instaled, 'E' being or data, and 'F' currently only has a copy of my Ghost backup on it).

How do I get Ghost to restore my entire system (C, D, & E partitions....especially the C) from these damn backups I have on CD)?

Other side note is that when I click the option to have Ghost enable Networking capabilities, that doesn't work. It errors.

Please help!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
*bump*

Anyone? Please?

·
Registered
619 Posts
Hi Hitanykey

I had the same problem and wrote to Symantec about it. Below is the reply that I received. I think I am giving up!!

"I understand from your message that Ghost is not able to detect your drives in the recovery environment.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused you and thank you for your patience.

Vivienne, if you are unable to view the drives from the Recovery Environment then this issue can occur due to the following reasons:

1. Norton Ghost files not updated.
2. Hard drive controllers updated.
3. Load drivers if it is a case of SATA RAID.

In order to resolve this issue, please refer to the following steps provided below:

1. Run LiveUpdate:

Since as we have seen many such issues are resolved by running LiveUpdate and installing the latest updates to your program, so I suggest that you please run LiveUpdate and install all the updates available. If you face any issues in running LiveUpdate then I suggest that you please refer to the following document provided in the link below:

Title: 'How to run LiveUpdate'
Document ID: 1999121613163206
>Web URL: http://service1.symantec.com/Support/sharedtech.nsf/docid/1999121613163206

Note: Please run LiveUpdate until you see there all the programs are updated.

2. Update the controller:

please note that many such issues are generally resolved by updating with the latest drivers from the card manufacturer. Please note that you need to update all the drivers for your MotherBoard, BIOS and the Controller Card. After updating the drivers please run Norton Ghost and check whether the issue is resolved.

3. Load the drivers:

Please note that if you have the combination of RAID and SATA drives that while booting into Recovery Environment when prompted you need to press F6 and provide the appropriate drivers for the controller card.

To do so, please refer to the following steps provided below:
a. Start your computer with Norton Ghost CD into Recovery Environment.
b. Press F6 in the process when you are prompted at the bottom of the screen.
c. Provide the necessary drivers for your hard drive and controller.
d. Follow the prompts complete the procedure and boot into Recovery Environment.

If I can be of further assistance, please let me know."

I don't know if this helps. It didn't help me because I don't know how to do all the stuff they said and I don't want to mess my computer by trying.

Vivienne

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Vivienne,
Just curious. What kind of computer do you have? Do you also have a Dell or do you have some other system?
Mine is a brand spankin' new Dell system, so it's fully updated since everything is perfectly new.
Maybe I'll try emailing Symantec, but just like it didn't help you I highly doubt it'll help me. (hence why I posted here)

Let me know if you ever find any success and I'll do the same if I uncover anything.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Hi again

I don't have a Dell. I have a computer where I chose my own components with the help of some wonderful people at TSG. :) It is less than a year old. I think the Norton guys write from a script so you will probably get exactly the same answer. No harm trying, though. If I ever solve it, I'll let you know, for sure.

Good luck to us:)

Vivienne

·
Registered
619 Posts
Hi HitAnyKey

HitAnyKey said:
Let me know if you ever find any success and I'll do the same if I uncover anything.
Do you buy any chance have a SATA drive? I have solved my problem by adding the SATA drivers. If you do have a SATA drive, let me know and I'll tell you how I did it.

Vivienne

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a Maxtor 6Y080M0 80GB drive.
I see on my Device Manager under IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers it lists:
Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 266F
Intel(R) 82801FR SATA AHCI Controller
Primary IDE Channel

Whether or not this means I have a SATA drive, I don't know. How would I find out?

·
Registered
619 Posts
Hi Hitanykey

I looked for a file called txtsetup.oem on the *motherboard* cd. I copied it and everything and everything else under 'drivers' except .pdf to a floppy. When I put the Norton Recovery CD in, it runs through a Windows setup routine and says to press F6 to add drivers. Press F6 and then let it run until it asks for the floppy. That's it. It works when I do it this way. If I haven't explained clearly, post back.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vivienne

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hmm, Difficulty I'm going to have with that....my computer doesn't have a Floppy Drive. Only thing I have is a USB Memory Key.
Though I will check tonight when I get home to see what I have in the way of those files on the motherboard cd.

·
Registered
619 Posts
HitAnyKey said:
Hmm, Difficulty I'm going to have with that....my computer doesn't have a Floppy Drive. Only thing I have is a USB Memory Key.
Maybe start a new thread and see if someone has a solution. I just do not know enough about computers to know what to do next. :-(

We were so close!!!

Vivienne

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I've just ordered an Imation External USB SuperDisk floppy drive from EBay. So when that comes in sometime in the next few days I'll be testing out whether Ghost can recognize that as a floppy drive and try your suggestions above.
With any luck that'll do the trick.

·
Registered
619 Posts
HitAnyKey said:
Well I've just ordered an Imation External USB SuperDisk floppy drive from EBay. So when that comes in sometime in the next few days I'll be testing out whether Ghost can recognize that as a floppy drive and try your suggestions above.
My fingers are crossed. :)

Vivienne

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.