Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,

i have an old computer w/ norton antivirus 4.04. it will not update. instead of the usual window, i now get a window w/ 4 options to update --
AV Engine Definitions
Avenge1.5 Definitions
LiveUpdate
Norton AntiVirus ROSWELL95 RETAIL

i choose liveupdate, it connects to symantec, tries to d\l. no luck. i get a large red circle w/ an ! inside it, plus this message --

''liveupdate can not read the list of new updates''
... it goes on to say it can't uncompress list of available updates. update list somehow got corrupted. run liveupdate again to get a new list of updates.

i've tried. no luck. same message.

earlier this month, i d/l a trial norton firewall. it took me below 1gb disk free space, so i deleted prgm. might this be hindering norton antivirus?

help!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
It would appear that your version of Norton Anti Virus is quite old? I know from personal experience that you can use a CD for at least two years. Possibly things have changed on the update site, to such a degree that your version is no longer compatable? I have used a CD for a year and when the updates stop downloading and it says you have to renew and pay a certain fee. I simply delete the program and reinstal it and it will go on with free updates for at least another year. I buy a new CD every 2 years. As far as a firewall goes, I too have had a lot of trouble with Norton. I suggest that you go to www.ZoneAlarm.com and download the free one that is available there. It works GREAT and it's rated highly effective. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you very much.

may i ask you a question --

when you say reinstall, do you mean reinstall the CD itself? i hope not... i can't find my CD.
do you have any suggestions?
are there trial antiviral downloads, like zonealarm for firewalls?

thank you

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Yes there are FREE downloads of anti virus software. I personally don't use them, but if you post that question on here, I'm sure you will get an answer. I looked at some a year ago online, and they were rated very good. I have always used Norton anti virus and purchased a new Cd edition every couple of years.
My personal suggestion to you is to shop around for the best price (some retailers give rebates and others just sell it cheaper) and then purchase Norton Anti Virus 2002. Iw will cost you 40-50 dollars, but if you base that over 2 years, it's pretty cheap insurance. It will cost you much more if you get a virus infection.
* NOTE Hang on to that CD next time OK? a replacement will cost $20.00 so you might as well buy the current edition.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.