Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested on adding the Norton Add-on Pack for NIS. I am interested in the privacy control only. I am not interested in parental controls. I do have a spam filter already with yahoo mail. I'm not sure what else it offers. Can I only use the Privacy Controls . Does it work with similar functions within IE7?

·
Gone but Never Forgotten
17,735 Posts
Hi,

I think the Add-On pack only works for NIS 2008

But, for the 2007 version, it had a problem with ATT/Yahoo mail:

http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/productdetail/index.jsp?pvid=nis_2007 <<it's the last link down, or here:

http://service1.symantec.com/Suppor...3836?OpenDocument&lg=en&ct=us&seg=hho&src=hot

**Don't see any reference for that in 2008 support info.

For 2008>
Symantec said:
Key Features:
Adds optional parental controls, antispam and confidential information blocking features to your Norton Internet Security or Norton 360 solution.
(That could mean, optional for Parental C's or all 3....)

http://solutions.symantec.com/sdcco...4fa2-8e76-706104bf5255&docid=20070827161033EN

Perhaps someone using NIS 2008 will post something....

·
Registered
395 Posts
I am interested on adding the Norton Add-on Pack for NIS. I am interested in the privacy control only. I am not interested in parental controls. I do have a spam filter already with yahoo mail. I'm not sure what else it offers. Can I only use the Privacy Controls . Does it work with similar functions within IE7?
Hi Jean,

Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team here. The Add-On pack is available to users of Norton Internet Security 2007, 2008 and Norton 360, as long as you have a valid subscription.

Once you download the Add-on Pack and install it, you can enable or disable any of the features in the main Norton Internet Security window. There will be an additional tab called "Norton Add-on Pack" where you can enable or disable features.

Please check out the link below for information and downloading the Add-on Pack.

Norton Add-on Pack information and download

Thank you,
Mike

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This question in to Michael York, Norton Authorized Support Team.

I notice from one of the answers above that changes must be made if the Add on pack is to work with AT&T Yahoo. I use Outlook Express as my e-mail client. However, I also have AT &T Yahoo mail on my system and the Yahoo mail checks for spam, some e-mails listed as spam are not spam and I then send them to OE. Does the Add on pack also need to have changes made to it under these conditions? (changes listed in the above answers?)

·
Registered
395 Posts
This question in to Michael York, Norton Authorized Support Team.

I notice from one of the answers above that changes must be made if the Add on pack is to work with AT&T Yahoo. I use Outlook Express as my e-mail client. However, I also have AT &T Yahoo mail on my system and the Yahoo mail checks for spam, some e-mails listed as spam are not spam and I then send them to OE. Does the Add on pack also need to have changes made to it under these conditions? (changes listed in the above answers?)
Hi jenhar,

My response to the original posting did not relate to any specific e-mail client, but rather as a general answer in regards to the add-on pack for Norton internet Security. The features of the add-on pack can be enabled or disabled as you wish. There are no restrictions as to weather or not you enable all of the features, or just a few.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Gone but Never Forgotten
17,735 Posts
Hi, The info I posted about Yahoo mail, I believe was for NIS 2007- but, I am not sure if you would have any conflict with 2008 NIS.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Hi, The info I posted about Yahoo mail, I believe was for NIS 2007- but, I am not sure if you would have any conflict with 2008 NIS.
Hello,

When you mention "Yahoo Mail" it is not an actual application, but merely a layover for your browser. Unless, of course, you are using Outlook to get your mail, or as Jen had mentioned Outlook Express, in which case you may need to make changes to the Norton Personal Firewall for access.

The Norton Add-On pack is available for both 2007 and 2008 versions of Norton Internet Security.

The Spam filtering that most ISP's use is done on the server-side. Utilizing the Anti-Spam feature in the Norton Add-On Pack would just provide another level of Spam checking.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Gone but Never Forgotten
17,735 Posts
Hi, jeanhar

This is the title of the item I am referring to:

Norton AntiSpam is blocked by AT&T/Yahoo new security enhanced email

http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/productdetail/index.jsp?pvid=nis_2007

It's the last item down that list of "Top issues with Norton Internet Security 2007"

Go to that link, and read what it says, it shows you what to do.

The changes shown there, will let your email work with Norton AntiSpam, by making the yahoo mail portal not use a secured connection (SSL).

Note, that this issue may not even be present, if you are using Norton Internet Security 2008. Are you going to or have you gotten, the 2008 or 2007 version???

I looked, and that Yahoo/ATT item, was not listed for 2008's.

And, as posted, you can clear up any problem that might come about, by adjusting your settings. I hope this clears things up.

You can use your ATT/Yahoo secured connection, and see how spam is or is not a problem....or, you can use Norton AntiSpam, or you can de-select to use AntiSpam, as you have it already from ATT/Yahoo, indicated by your first post.

Mr. York has indicated that the components are selectable, so you can use elect to use some parts of the suite, and not all, you wanted only Privacy part....

But, there might be a conflict if you use both, that is what I was trying to show...what you could do, if there was a problem....

·
Gone but Never Forgotten
17,735 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.