Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so my PC has worked fine for a long time now but I wanted to put a more quiet fan onto my processor. Can't remember the make and model of either but my CPU is nothing too powerful. Maybe 1.6GHz AMD Socket A.

Anyway I put some thermal grease on and put the fan in no problem... however upon turning the PC on - I get no response from my monitor. The video card fan is spinning leading me to believe it's working... Any simple suggestions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,108 Posts
chibahawk said:
The video card fan is spinning leading me to believe it's working... Any simple suggestions?
Well not much to go on but if the vid card has a fan it's likely it's powered meaning gets it's power from the PSU. The fan could still spin from the BUS power but you may not have plugged the card in so that it has enough power to actually provide a picture.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
griffinspc said:
Well not much to go on but if the vid card has a fan it's likely it's powered meaning gets it's power from the PSU. The fan could still spin from the BUS power but you may not have plugged the card in so that it has enough power to actually provide a picture.
Guess so. However I didn't really go near the vid card so I doubt I could've knocked it loose or anything. I'm gonna try to pull it out and put it back in regardless but I think there might be something else.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rich-M said:
Go double check hsf is fastened properly, if it isn't the pc will not boot.
yea im thinking its definitely tight - i know that the clips definitely clicked in-----

quick question

there was a grey square on the bottom of the hsf which i figured was thermal grease... i added even more thermal grease on to this but maybe the first grey square was something that should not have been added on to
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,108 Posts
OK, so if you didn't remove anything else but the hsf and if Rich's solution doesn't work then go a little further with your description. The vid card fan spins but do you hear the normal boot process, drive spinning, etc., just no picture?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,108 Posts
Whoops, typing at the same time, yes you don't want a pad and thermal grease and you only want about a BB size amount of grease at that. Also did you carefully remove all traces of the previous grease?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
46,739 Posts
With the socket A cpus, it is reasonably easy to crack the cpu die when you install the hsf. Extra easy if you did not pull the board.

Go back and reseat ALL connections. It is easy to knock something loose while you are inside the case.

If you still get no post, I would pull the board and R&R the hsf. Give the cpu die a close inspection.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
griffinspc said:
Whoops, typing at the same time, yes you don't want a pad and thermal grease and you only want about a BB size amount of grease at that. Also did you carefully remove all traces of the previous grease?
oooh that could be a problem.. how would i remove the grease that was ON the CPU? can you just scratch that off or how do you go about that? That could def. be the problem
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
crjdriver said:
You just clean it with 99% alcohol.

Did you pull the board to do this or did you attempt doing it in the case?
did it in this case.. did it careful though..

you would figure that having 2 layers of fresh thermal grease and one uncleaned layer of old grease would mean theres no dissipation right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
okay so i did the following...

took out the new fan and rubbed down the CPU and fan with 70% alcohol pads.. then I applied a little Arctic Cool grease to the chip and re did the new fan... nothing

So from here I switched out the Video card, nothing.. then I tried a new monitor, nothing..

Then I put back the old fan with some new grease and nothing again.


Really stumped now. I should add that my HDD is booting up and everything does seem normal but the video signal
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Rich-M said:
By any chance when you pulled the hsf off, did the cpu come out of socket as well?
no the CPU didn't pop out or anything.

if the power supply was busted wouldnt that mean I wouldnt say any kind of juice in the system? and you mentioned that would just be a coincidence?

Im thinking that during the time period when my PC was actually running without the CPU being effectively cooled that something must've blown.... I just dunno what it would be.
And it's weird because it seems like the PC boots fine but that I just get no video
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
46,739 Posts
You are going to have to swap parts with known good ones to find the problem.
It really comes down to just a few things.
1 You damaged the cpu when you attempted to install the hsf.
2 You caused some damage to one or more parts ie mb, ram, etc due to static electricity.
3 Power supply just happened to fail at this time.

FWIW I would put my money on damaging the cpu when you did the first install of the hsf. The socket As have an exposed die and you can crack them when you install the hsf. If you tried an install of the hsf with the board still in the case, I would bet on this being the cause.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
crjdriver said:
You are going to have to swap parts with known good ones to find the problem.
It really comes down to just a few things.
1 You damaged the cpu when you attempted to install the hsf.
2 You caused some damage to one or more parts ie mb, ram, etc due to static electricity.
3 Power supply just happened to fail at this time.

FWIW I would put my money on damaging the cpu when you did the first install of the hsf. The socket As have an exposed die and you can crack them when you install the hsf. If you tried an install of the hsf with the board still in the case, I would bet on this being the cause.
tomorrow i will definitely be doing a whole lot of swapping.. i appreciate all info thus far.

quickie - what exactly is the die? i wouldnt be surprised if i did damage the cpu.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top