Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I posted the following thread here about two weeks ago, and I have a new question. If the on-board video is bad, would it make sense to try a PCI video card?

mahoopes

Member with 41 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
17-Dec-2010, 05:14 PM #1
No video output
Hi, I am helping a friend with a 2006 Gateway GT 2555 running Windows XP Media Center. It has no video output at all. The hard drive is working, and I can view its files via a USB/IDE bridge so I know it has power. I have reseated the IDE cable and tried different jumper settings, to no avail. I have tried two monitor cables. One possible clue: the fan turns on and runs loudly as soon as the PC is powered up. Is there anything else I can try before concluding that it is totaled with a bad motherboard or something? Many thanks.
Register for free to hide this ad!

Elvandil

Moderator with 42,479 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
17-Dec-2010, 05:29 PM #2
Graphics card?

mahoopes

Member with 41 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
17-Dec-2010, 06:52 PM #3
No video
Thanks for your suggestion. I do not see a video card, and from the motherboard documentation, I believe the video is onboard. There is a matchbox-sized plastic device lugged into the MOBO next to the monitor port, but I don't think I know how to test it. The only relevant equipment I have (I think) is a basic multi-meter. Thanks so much for your thoughts.

·
Registered
22,466 Posts
Yes it would make sense. Are you sure of that model # because Gateway site does not show it...I was looking because you might have a pci-x slot which would give you better video than onboard did whereas pci video card will be worse. You can open the tower and look at it to tell.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are right, the correct model number is GT5220. I see several available slots, so I would appreciate any thoughts on the best one to use. Thank you for your advice.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, I am back to this fun project, having received a new video card (NVIDIA GeForce 7200 GS). The first step should have been to disable the onboard graphics, but without monitor output I do not know how to do that. I have searched diligently and without for a user manual for the motherboard that might include a jumper-setting option. The most detailed description of the MOBO is here: http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/Shared/4006136R/4006136Rsp2.shtml

So without disabling the onboard video, which I postulate is bad, I installed the new card in the PCI slot and powered up the PC. No output at all. Are there any other options or am I at the end of the train with this system?

·
Registered
22,466 Posts
In most cases most boards default to pci card if there so I would try to reset the bios to default settings. Possibly holding cmos battery out for 5 minutes and then putting it back should do that then try again. Failing that I would agree we are out of options.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep, I believe I will declare this one dead. Tried removing the battery for a while then reinserting and restarting. Nothing.
Also located the clear CMOS jumper and moved it from pins 1/2 to pins 2/3 for a while, then returned to original location and restarted. Nothing. I removed the RAM modules one by one and tested. Nothing. I also removed all cards (really just the new video card and the network card) as well as all RAM. My understanding is that this should have caused a string of beeps on startup, but it was silent. I hate to admit defeat but I guess it's time! Thanks so much, Rich-M, for your suggestions. I still learned something!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.