Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I had a computer tech install a new hard drive in my computer because I was not able to boot into Windows. He left the old hard drive in as a second drive.

He reloaded Windows ME and I reloaded the drivers for my scanner, monitor, printer.

I tried reloading the drivers for my sound card. I think it worked because I can access the sound card software but I still have no sound. The sound card is a Creative Sound Blaster Live.

My computer is a Dell Dimension 4100.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These are the things listed under sound/video and game controllers:

- An exclamation point with yellow circle

- Creative SB Live! Value[WDM]

- Game Port for Creative SB Live!

- HID-compliant game controller

- An exclamation point with yellow circle. Unknown Device.

- Wave Device for Voice Modem

All of the devices are listed as working properly except the ones with the exclamation point. Those say the drivers should be installed.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Right click on the items with the yellow circles and disable them. Reboot

If no change and if you haven't done so in control panel go into Sound and Audio Devices or Multimedia (not sure what it's called in ME) and make sure your sound card is chosen as the default device.

Look at your mixer controls to ensure that all of the appropriate sliders are up and nothing is muted.

Double check that your speakers worK and are plugged into the right jack on your sound card. You can try headphones in the jack to eliminate the speakers as a problem.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I right clicked on the items with the yellow circles to remove them and then I rebooted.

When windows booted a error message came up and said "The file 'drmk.sys' was not found."

Windows needs the disk labeled 'Windows Millenium Edition' to continue. The disk may be provided by your computer or drive manufacturer.

Copy files from
C:\Program Files\Creative\WDM_INST

I hit the OK button and the same error message came up. I tried inserting the Windows ME CD, The Sound Blaster CD's, and another CD with drivers on it and I hit the OK button each time and nothing happened. I then hit the Cancel button and Windows finished booting and I had sound!

I maybe should have left everything alone, but I did not. I went back into device manager and tried removing again the item that says Unknown device. The other item with the yellow circle was gone. I rebooted the computer.

The same error message came up. I hit the cancel button but this time I have no sound. I looked in the device manager again and the item that says Unknown Device is still listed.

It seems like we almost have the problem fixed.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
I looked up that file. I don't claim to know what it does but it is audio related. I've never downloaded anything from the below site. It looks OK, but there's always risks. This will take you to the download for the file.

drmk.sys

Edit: I just noticed that it costs money at that site :down:

I have a creative based sound card and I did a search on my system and found numerous copies of drmk.sys. You may want to do the same and then copy it into the Program Files\Creative\WDM_INST directory. I'm not really sure that's were it belongs, but if it is there when you get the message maybe Windows will copy it and put it in the right place. It's listed as a Microsoft file and by it's properties it looks like all my copies came or were updated when I downloaded the XP service packs. I know you have ME so you may want to download all the service packs (I assume there are some), if you didn't do so after the new hard drive.

·
Banned
60 Posts
Is the speaker on the tasbar ?
Lets go from there.
Theres many posts on this,search please.
:p :rolleyes:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry that it has taken me a couple of days to respond. I tried a few times to get to this site but it said could not find server. I then tried the address forums.techguy.org instead and I'm here.

Anyhow, I downloaded all of the critical updates for Windows ME.

I then copied that drmk.sys file into Program Files\Creative\WDM_INST directory. I had to create the WDM_INST directory. This did not help. I deleted that directory that I created with the copy of the file.

Currently the items with the yellow circles are gone in device manager under sound/video and game controllers. When I boot the computer I do not receive a message looking for a file.

Currently the plain speaker is not in the taskbar. There is speaker in the taskbar called AudioHQ. I tried working with the programs in there but I still have no sound.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.