Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Frankenputer, so I'm not quite sure of all the specs, but what I can tell you is I'm running XP on my desktop... I can't seem to get any other keyboard to run on this computer, USB or PS2. I went into my BIOS and enabled the USB keyboard/mouse support, and my drivers are up to date... What gives?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both the old mouse and keyboard run on PS2, but here's an interesting sidenote. The new mouse I purchased is working just fine on a USB to PS2 adapter. The mouse will also work SOMETIMES if plugged into the USB port, but the system has made it evident to me that it doesn't like the USB keyboard/mouse activity, or any keyboard, for that matter. I tried using the USB hub, also, to bypass the ones on the tower, but to no avail. The computer doesn't even recognize the keyboard as a new device. Checked my Windows and BIOS settings, and they appear to be configured correctly. I'm stumped.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Well, TBH, you could have a PS2 problem, AND a USB problem.

For the USB, thy JohnWill's post HERE (post#8). See if it makes any difference. But while you're doing it, use the USB to PS2 adapter..lol.

Scorp.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Still no change. Starting to think maybe the motherboard is about to crap out. It gets more unstable everytime I try to swap the old keyboard out with the new one, and for some reason, it will not load the drivers correctly. Now the same problem has been happening with my USB printer, had it working fine once, and unplugged it, now the computer recognizes the device but says the driver loads failed. Yes, I uninstalled the original ones first. Yes, I did it before plugging the device in. Yes, I tried it six ways to Sunday but it just won't work. Dunno, *shrugs*.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Before deciding it's the motherboard, I would try a new, clean load of Windows (as in format). If you have an old hard disk lying around, you could temporarily install it, format and set up Windows. If the problem comes back, you'll know it is definitily a hardware issue.

It sounds like a lot of trouble; but, I would hate to buy a main board and later find out that wasn't it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, finally had to reformat. Swapped the drive over to a new board, and got the inevitable BSOD. The keyboard works fine now. Unfortunately, for some reason, the BIOS fails to recognize all 100GB of disk space without the Seagate DDO, and even then, I'm losing 8GB. Jumper settings and cable select are as recommended by Seagate, and there doesn't seem to be an update for the BIOS to flash it. Oh well, just happy to be running again! Thanks for your help!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.