Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, well, I've read several threads with similar problems, and none of that advice has helped yet.

Here is my problem: I am using a Netgear RP614 router. I've had this for almost 2 years and it's worked fine. Two days ago, it stopped working. Like many others, my internet connection still works fine when the modem is plugged directly into the computer. I contacted my ISP, someone came out here, and they have no clue what is going on. It had been suggested that the problem was with the router. So I went out and purchased a new router...same thing happened. However, with the new router, it definitely said something about the DHCP server not connecting, so I am pretty sure the router is failing to get the IP address from the DHCP server. Though, no clue why it suddenly stopped working after 2 years.

My ISP now thinks the modem is faulty, and are coming back out next week to replace it. Though, I'm thinking, the problem may not have anything to do with the modem, and replacing it might not help this problem at all.

I would be EXTREMELY grateful for any help that anyone may be able to give me. (I've already tried all the basics...restarting the modem, restarting the router, etc.)

Thank you!!!! :)

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
When you connect the PC directly to the modem you are using one ethernet cable. When you insert the router you are using two cables. Have you checked to make sure that both cables are still good?

With PC connected to the modem, please do the following so we have something to work with.

Open a Command window via Start - Run - cmd - OK.

In the window type
ipconfig /all

right click in the window and select 'select all' and then hit the Enter key.

You can then paste the results directly to a post here or to a Notepad file for later copying.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both of the cables are good.

Pasting the info you requested:

Windows IP Configuration

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 PL Network Connect
ion
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-72-0E-70-F5
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.221.140
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 169.254.221.140

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
You have internet access with that IP configuration!?!?!?!?!????????

You have an Automatic Private Internet Protocol Address (assigned by Windows when no Dhcp server can be found), a gateway pointing to self, and no DNS server(s).

If you are getting internet access with that your modem is not faulty--it's MAGIC! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.