Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

My screen goes completely empty after the word "Welcome" comes on the screen.

Only the screensaver shows.

I can use Task Manager, which I did to switch users. The users have different screensavers. They both displayed so it's not an issue with a particular screensaver.

I tried running HJT from task manager but it opened, then closed right away.
Also, when I open Task Manager>New task>browse, the My Computer icon is missing. And, when I tried running HTJ again, that icon was missing and an error message said I don't have permission to run that program.

Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Try going into safe mode.
While computer is booting gently, continously tap the F8 key. Use the arrow keys to go up to "last known good configuration" click on enter.
Let the computer do it's thing.
Let us know how this goes and if it helps at all.
vicks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, I'm new here and I am having the same problem with the screen. I can run the task manager as well but nothing else seems to work. I tried starting last known good configuration, also tried safe mode and it freezes as soon as it asks for my password. I can't type it in. It all goes frozen except for the cursor keeps blinking. It is really frustrating. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Right click desktop go to Arrange Icons by .... and tick Show Desktop Icons, sometimes this becomes unticked by either mistake or updates.

First thing to check when Icons are not there, before trying anything else

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nothing happens when I right-click the desktop.

I tried system restore thru msconfig and chose an available date - nothing happens when I click <next> to start restore - unless it takes more than an hour to process.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well I tried safe mode again today, and still can't get past where it asks for my password. I try to type it in but nothing appears. The thing just locks up. I also tried clicking my desktop and nothing happens. I'm really puzzled by all this! Any guidance and or assistance will be greaty appreciated.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.