Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I log on to my laptop, my desktop icons and start bar are there, but they disappear after a couple of seconds, leaving only my background. This most recent time they never appeared at all, it was nothing but my background. I opened the Windows Task Manager with CTRL ATL DEL and clicked New Task, opened SpySweeper, and ran the sweep.

Something called a zenosearchassistant and some cookies came up.

I quarantined them and deleted them. I ran the sweep again and nothing came up. But my desktop is still not working correctly. So, I did some searching about the zenosearchassistant and from what I can tell it's just supposed to give me endless pop up ads or something, which I never had a problem with at all, so maybe that's not why my desktop is messed up. I've tried restarting a couple of times too, and it' still not working.

Any help is appreciated, thank you guys so much. And if there's somewhere else that would be better for this question, just point me in the right direction. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
its explorer.exe you seem to be having problems with... lpress the "windows button" + "R" (windows button is next to the left ALT button) this will open the RUN command, enter "explorer.exe" (without the qoutes ")
and press ENTER... if your desktop re-appears then explorer is being closed when you log in...

could be a corrupt user profile... try system restore

·
Registered
58 Posts
First have your Windows CD or your Manufacturers Recovery CD handy, just in case it asks you for it. Boot up your PC, when it gets to the screen where your Background is press CTRL + ALT + DEL, click New Task, type CMD. You should get a command prompt. Now type SFC /SCANNOW and press enter.

Once it finishes reboot, see if the problem is taken care of.
If not then put your XP/Recovery CD in the PC, reboot boot from the CD, choose Install, Press F8, choose Repair and repair your windows installation. Problem should be resolved after that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its explorer.exe you seem to be having problems with... lpress the "windows button" + "R" (windows button is next to the left ALT button) this will open the RUN command, enter "explorer.exe" (without the qoutes ")
and press ENTER... if your desktop re-appears then explorer is being closed when you log in...

could be a corrupt user profile... try system restore
What is this "windows button" you speak of? Beside my left ALT button is a button that says Fn, and when I push it and R nothing happens at all. Is there any other way to get to the RUN command? Sorry i'm so incompetent with it all.

First have your Windows CD or your Manufacturers Recovery CD handy, just in case it asks you for it. Boot up your PC, when it gets to the screen where your Background is press CTRL + ALT + DEL, click New Task, type CMD. You should get a command prompt. Now type SFC /SCANNOW and press enter.

Once it finishes reboot, see if the problem is taken care of.
If not then put your XP/Recovery CD in the PC, reboot boot from the CD, choose Install, Press F8, choose Repair and repair your windows installation. Problem should be resolved after that.
Neither of those fixed it. I went through the first option and nothing happened in the end. Sadly enough.

On the second option, I exited out of everything, put in the CD...and nothing happened. I had to CTRL+ALT+DEL, click new task, browse, open the CD drive, and then double click INSTALL, I went through a series of "Next's," read where I shouldn't take the CD out until I was instructed to. The computer turned off, I logged back in, and nothing was different, and the problem wasn't fixed. It didn't delete all my files or anything like it said it would. Once I logged in, there were no prompts about the CD, to continue or to take it out or anything, so i'm not sure what happened...nothing as far as I can tell.

Any other ideas or options, or suggestions on how to execute what i've already been suggested?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Do you know how to boot from a CD? You need to boot from the windows XP CD to perform a repair.

For the other instructions, you can press CTRL+ALT+DEL then New Task, and type explorer.exe. That will start explorer.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
What is this "windows button" you speak of? Beside my left ALT button is a button that says Fn, and when I push it and R nothing happens at all. Is there any other way to get to the RUN command? Sorry i'm so incompetent with it all.

Neither of those fixed it. I went through the first option and nothing happened in the end. Sadly enough.

On the second option, I exited out of everything, put in the CD...and nothing happened. I had to CTRL+ALT+DEL, click new task, browse, open the CD drive, and then double click INSTALL, I went through a series of "Next's," read where I shouldn't take the CD out until I was instructed to. The computer turned off, I logged back in, and nothing was different, and the problem wasn't fixed. It didn't delete all my files or anything like it said it would. Once I logged in, there were no prompts about the CD, to continue or to take it out or anything, so i'm not sure what happened...nothing as far as I can tell.

Any other ideas or options, or suggestions on how to execute what i've already been suggested?
START / RUN or CTRL+ALT+DEL File/New Task will open RUN

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.