Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to download the Add-On Pack. Now it says I do not have Norton 2008, which I had recently installed it. Now I have opened Pandora's box. Problem after problem. I don't have hours to spend uninstalling and reinstalling everything. Right now I need to redo Windows Installer. I am about to pull my hair out! Would it be better to uninstall Norton and purchase AVG Internet Security. I have 3 months left on my NIS. I upgraded from NIS 2006 and have created numerous problems. Why I have used Norton all these years I don't know. It always takes too much time to install. Suggetions please!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is the message on Windows Installer I get when trying to follow a step: Click Satrt>Run command
C:\PROGRAM~1\sYMANTEC\S32EVNT1Dll. An installable Virtual Driver failed Dll intialization. Choose 'close' to terminate the application.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I downloaded NIS 2008 again and the Add-On Pack and skipped the Windows Installer. Computer loads very slowly. Mail is very slow. At work we Installed 360, but took it off, because it slowed the computer down. Will AVG Internet Security slow your computer?

·
Gone but Never Forgotten
17,735 Posts
Hi,

I have moved you to your own thread as you posted into an active thread- please be advised that doing that often confuses those replying to you.

You will get the best help here in your own thread.

I will see if Mr. York can stop in here and assist you.

There are as you probably know, good directions available right at the Symantec web support site, have you looked at those for your product?

To help answer your question, a slowness just after installing can be seen with Norton Internet Security, but that is supposed to go away.

I'm not sure about AVG Internet Security, but many people that use TSG forums do use that, so some one may reply with help on that.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I tried to download the Add-On Pack. Now it says I do not have Norton 2008, which I had recently installed it. Now I have opened Pandora's box. Problem after problem. I don't have hours to spend uninstalling and reinstalling everything. Right now I need to redo Windows Installer. I am about to pull my hair out! Would it be better to uninstall Norton and purchase AVG Internet Security. I have 3 months left on my NIS. I upgraded from NIS 2006 and have created numerous problems. Why I have used Norton all these years I don't know. It always takes too much time to install. Suggetions please!
Hi Cinderella,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team responding to your posting. I'm sorry that you are experiencing problems with Norton internet Security and I'd like to offer you some assistance in resolving these issues.

First, prior to installing Norton Internet Security 2008, did you have another Norton product installed? Also, please make sure that you do not have any other antivirus or internet security applications installed, as they can cause conflicts. Please check the Add/Remove Control Panel and remove any other third party security applications first.

The easiest way to resolve your issue is to properly uninstall and reinstall Norton Internet Security by first using the Norton Removal Tool, which will completely remove all Norton products from your machine. Please click on the link below to download and run the tool.

Step 1.

Norton Removal Tool and Instructions

After you run the tool, restart your computer and then run the tool again and make sure you restart after the second time as well.

2. Make sure that your internet connection is working properly, and then reinstall Norton Internet Security 2008. Towards the end of the installation process, the LiveUpdate feature will automatically run and download and install updates to both the program files and definition files.

4. When the installation is complete, please manually run LiveUpdate to make sure that all of the updates are downloaded and applied. To do so, Click Start-> All Programs->Norton Internet Security->LiveUpdate. LiveUpdate will run again and download and install any additional updates that are available. When this is complete, close the LiveUpdate window by clicking the "Finish" button.

5. Next, close the Norton Internet Security window and then visit the following page to re-download the Norton Add-on Pack.

Norton Add-on Pack Download

Please try this process and let me know if it resolves the problems you have experienced.

Thank you,
Mike

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Mike for your help. Before reading your post here, I was able to get everything downloaded correctly. My computer is still slow. It takes forever for the computer to boot up, internet and mail to load. I installed 360 at work and the guys took it off, because it slowed the computer. Since this was done, everything loads much quicker. However, I am not comfortable with having no virus protection on the computer. You can pass this to your Norton people, I find Norton difficult to install. I have used it for years. Never in the past, have I been successful the first time. It always takes hours to install. Recently I purchased a new computer for my son with Vista and McAffee, because of this problem. It is worse, if it makes you feel better. When you purchase a fast computer, have DSL then you expect everything to load quickly. Any suggestions to speed up my computer with XP Pro? It says it does not need to be defragmented.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Hi Cinderella,

I apologize that you are still experiencing a slowdown with Norton Internet Security 2008. The first question I have for you is , does your computer meet the minimum requirements for Norton Internet Security 2008, which are the following:

* Windows® XP Home Edition or Professional Edition with Service Pack 2
* 300-MHz or faster processor
* 256 MB of RAM
* 350 MB of available hard disk space

Next, please check your Add/Remove Programs Control Panel and make sure there are no other 3rd party antivirus or internet security applications installed. If you see any listed, please remove them from you computer, as they can cause conflicts.

Also, please make sure that the Windows XP Firewall is disabled, as Norton Internet Security has a Personal Firewall that will protect your computer. If both of them are running at the same time, that can also be a cause of the slowdown.

Next, using Internet Explorer 5.5 or above, please click on the link below to run the online Norton Security and Virus scan.

Symantec Online Security Check

Please make sure that you run both tests. If it reports any infections, etc, please reply back to this thread and let me know.

Thank you,
Mike

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Below is my system:

Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
Processor Speed 2.92 GHz
Memory (RAM) 512 MB
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Operating System Version 5.1.2600
Service Pack 2
42.85 GB of Free Space

Windows Firewall is disabled.

Ran scans, no viruses.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Hi Cinderella,

Thanks for the clarification on your system specs. Since you scan came back with no infection, it seems as though there is something other than Norton 360 is running and is consuming too many resources on your system. Please check your Task Manager to see what is consuming the most resources.

Other than that, please also check and make sure that there are no other 3rd party antivirus or internet security applications installed, as they can cause conflicts . If so, please remove them from the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel.

The other suggestion I have is that, as long as your subscription to Norton 360 is current, you can upgrade to Norton 360 2.0 by clicking on the following link:

Norton 360 Upgrade Center

Please read the instructions carefully. After installing this upgrade, please run another Full System Scan on your computer.

Let me know if this helps the slowness issue you are experiencing.

Thank you,
Mike

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have NIS2008 at home and it is slow. It takes forever. 360 is at work and the guys removed it and the computer works fine without it. Why is Norton always so difficult to install? I always have to uninstall and reinstall. I have used Norton for about 13 years. Never has it been easy to install. Also, this computer I am complaining about with the above specs has only had Norton installed on it.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Hi Cinderlla,

As I had mentioned in my previous posting,it appears that something other than Norton is consuming resources on your system which is causing the slowdown. All of the Norton 2008 products have been re-written, so as to not consume too many resources.

Also, although your machine specs have the minimum 512 MB of RAM, we always recommend at least 1 GB of RAM for all of the Norton 2008 products.

As to your question regarding installation issues, there are numerous factors that can cause installation issues, including, but not limited to, infections, hard drive fragmentation and the existence of other antivirus and internet security applications which can cause conflicts and an overall slowdown. In your initial posting you had mentioned that you were experiencing problems with the Windows installer. Since all of the Norton products make sue of the Windows installer, this can definitely be a key factor in the installation issues you were having.

When installing Norton 2008 products, it is important that your internet connection is working properly, so that the latest product and definition files are installed towards the end of the installation, and to then run a full scan as well.

There are some tools within Windows that we recommend that you try. Please follow the instructions in the following link to see if they help with the slowness issue.

Resolve Norton Internet Security Slowdown

Thank you,
Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.