Tech Support Guy banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I need basic/entry level certifications on Linux, MCSE, Unix, programming and Hardware. Does anybody here know any good books, online training course, etc that can help me?

Which version of Linux should I use to learn how it works (keep in mind that corel said it would be terminating it's linux)? Which Version of Unix?

I was also wondering how could I get into the gaming industry (entry level) as a programmer or level designer. Anybody know what certications, applications, and companies I should try for entry level position involving this?

I also want to do programming in my spare time. Writing small useful applications. Then sell them for a small profit. However, I don't know how would I incorperate this into any application I may possibly write. Some expamples SnappyFax, Mighty Fax, maybe even a DVD playing program. Program for hand helds would particularly be useful to sell. How would I go about doing this?

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Hi,

I can't really advise you on programming and linux certs., however, for Hardware you should probably start off by getting your A+. There is a really helpful A+ study guide by somebody named Scott Mueller (I think thats his last name, but I'm not positive). After you've studied, you can contact COMPtia, and find a testing site near you.
In regards to finding employment, I would strongly advise that you start off at a help-desk position, or some other entry-level position, in order to gain more practical knowledge. While certifications and designations can be helpful in getting a job, you'll definitely find that hands-on, practical experience and knowledge is what you'll require.
You should probably refine/sharpen your focus to a particular field in computing (ie-programming, field technician, server engineer, linux admin, etc..). Most positions in the IT industry require a specific set of job skills. In other words, studying Linux administration probably is going to help you much if you get a job troubleshooting Windows 95/98 clients.

Good Luck:D

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes,

I have have read up a little on these. A +, Network +, (other basic one I don't remember). Examcram.com books I heard are good, but mine are two years old. So I need some good ones. You are right I do need some hands on. I am trying to raise funds for that. I hope to get into it soon.

Keep those suggestions comming.
Thanks people!

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello.

I need some good certification sites. Anybody know any?

·
Registered
781 Posts
If you're looking to get into gaming (which I am - and hopefully I'll be graduating soon) then I would say your best bet is C++.

For an easy to use language for beginners I would try Visual Basic 6.0 and for a procedural language I would try C.

I have only had the opportunity to try one flavor of Linux (Mandrake) and I love it. If you are looking for a Windows type of GUI then I would suggest Mandrake. If you're looking for a command line only version of Linux you can install Mandrake without the GUI options.

I hope this helps you out.

Mithrilhall

·
Registered
606 Posts

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello.

I am definiately going to get my certifications this summer. I have decided on A+, "one of the basic networking certification (network plus or the other one. I think it is iNet?)", and MCSE. I want to start working this fall at least on the weekends. However, I need some good titles. I would prefer something I could learn with or without the CD (Preferably I would use the CD).

Another question that digresses a little. I have been thinking of changing initial degress. I am currently taking Mathematics and Computer Studies (essentially a minor), but I want to persue Computer Science and a few others that do require math. So what should I do? Take the math first (which will take me two years) or the computer science course first?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.