Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

First time post for me, so thanks in advance for any help i get here.

Normally I search the net looking for fixes for my problems but this one has me beaten, so far :) I have found a few suggested solutions but none have worked. One suggested editing the registry but my registry entried were not the same. I found and deleted all the owner files that I could.

I am running 98SE on an IBM thinkpad 600x.

Now my problem. When I open word I get a message saying "word could not open" with a square. Also I cannot open any doc's I get the message "doc is locked for editing by another user". If I then try to close word I get the message "the file normal already exists, do you want to replace it".

I tried to load norton as I read that old versions could cause similar faults but got the message that the temp folder is unaccessible or full.

Also when I open my computer it can not open my C drive unless I right click it and select explore.

TIA

Alan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

Sorry, I forgot to mention, that was one of the solutions I found and it didnt work. There was just one normal.dot file which I deleted but it made on change.

Thanks

Alan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi all,

This problem is mostly sorted. My word is back to normal, which was my main concern.

The clue was in the message for temp folder. I cleared this folder and now have word back to normal again.

The only remaining issue that I can see so far is that "c" will not open in "my computer" unless I right click it and select explore, but I guess i can live with that if everything else is ok.

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi,

Sorry for being a bit late with my reply.

Thanks, but that script didnt do anything for me. I noticed it mentioned XP, which may be the reason as I am running 98se.

I never got to the bottom of the remainder of the problem, but since clearing the temp file i have everything working besides the issue mentioned above. This is good enough for now.

Thanks again

Alan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.