Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I just installed a Geforce FX5600 video card, and now my games and movies run horribly. I had a Geforce 3 before this, and everything was fine. But now, my games run laggy at times, and my movies look pixelated. I updated my vid card drivers and mobo drivers, but it hasn't helped. I have an AMD Athlon 2600+ processor, 512 MB DDR ram, and a K7 Triton 400 mobo (Gigabyte Technologies). Oh, and from a cold boot now, I will get one long beep, and no boot up till i reset. Can someone advise me? Oops, I'm running Windows XP with service pack 1.

·
Registered
20 Posts
syntaxerr said:
Hi all. I just installed a Geforce FX5600 video card, and now my games and movies run horribly. I had a Geforce 3 before this, and everything was fine. But now, my games run laggy at times, and my movies look pixelated. I updated my vid card drivers and mobo drivers, but it hasn't helped. I have an AMD Athlon 2600+ processor, 512 MB DDR ram, and a K7 Triton 400 mobo (Gigabyte Technologies). Oh, and from a cold boot now, I will get one long beep, and no boot up till i reset. Can someone advise me? Oops, I'm running Windows XP with service pack 1.
Sounds like you have over lapping drivers. You say that you had a Geforce installed before. Well that could be the problem. You have to make sure the old drivers are remove totally before installing a new card. Not just from the add/remove area, but from the registry. There is a program that ATI and maybe Geforce has on there website that will locate all the old drivers remove them. I recommend downloading this free utility and running it. Remove all the old and the new ones. Then do a fresh install.

·
Registered
11,198 Posts
delete the video card from the device manager
reboot pressing f8
from the options menu choose vga mode
when windows finishes installing the card,
then install your drivers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.