Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last month I upgraded to an Nvidia 7800 gs oc agp and bought a new power supply along with it.
Card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814143046
PSU:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2143207&CatId=1078

It worked great until I decided to return the Geforce and get the new Sapphire Radeon
X1950 pro agp for the same price.
http://www.sapphiretech.com/us/products/products_overview.php?gpid=168&grp=2

Now, every time I play a game or use any graphically intensive program, the PSU seems to
crackle. How bad is this? Will it fry my system after a while?

Sorry if this is a stupid question but this is the first time I've seen something like this.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sninja said:
every time I play a game or use any graphically intensive program, the PSU seems to
crackle.
While I've not used that exact supply or even that brand, I've seen (and heard :) ) a lot of power supplies that do exactly what you describe - make a "crackling" noise. Some do it all the time, some only when under a fairly large load.

They all failed after a while. (By failed, I don't mean "dead" or "burned down the house", i mean "got flakey" - systems would reboot spontaneously or would give weird errors that would lead you to believe you have bad memory, flakey CPU, bad MoBo, etc. Each time, the source of the problem was traced back to the power supply.

My suggestion? Request an RMA before it fails. Tell them exactly what you said here - when it's under load, it makes a crackling/arcing sound.

A. Woolf

·
Registered
14,017 Posts
I'll never for the life of me understand whay anybody would spend big bucks on a machine and then drop a $40 power supply in it. :p

Buy a real PSU. A $230 video card wiped out by a $40 PSU? I just don't get it. ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Skivvywaver said:
I'll never for the life of me understand whay anybody would spend big bucks on a machine and then drop a $40 power supply in it.
$40 can buy a good power supply.

I had a workstation with all of the following components:
(2) Intel Xeon 3.0 GHz CPUs
(2) 1GB & (2) 512MB ECC Reg'd DDR333 DIMMs
(6) Maxtor 36GB U160 10000RPM SCSI drives
(1) PCI-X RAID-5 caching SCSI controller
(1) 6-bay hot swap SCSI drve cage
(1) 160GB Samsung 7200RPM SATA drive
(1) BFG 6600GT OC PCI-E vidoe card
floppy drive, DVD-RW, DVD-ROM, etc

...ALL powered by a HEC 350 watt ATX12V 2.x (24pin + 4 pin) power supply. (The server board required a 24+8 power supply, so i made an adapter that pulled 12V for the extra 4 pins from two 4 pin HDD connectors)

I dont have that setup anymore, but it ran 24/7 for several months at 100% CPU usage with ZERO problems. I've always had great luck with HEC supplies, and am currently using one of their 580W units in my new system.

A. Woolf

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.