Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New to Linux & Need Help Looking for a Good Distribution

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  AbvAvgUser 
#1 ·
Hello all! I have come back to the forums to ask you guys a favor, to help me with a few questions. For one, I am sick of Windows XP, it is too slow and uses too many resources, which I don't feel like explaining. Now, I just bought a brand new 160GB hard drive, and I want to install a good Linux distro on it. Something that is faster than Windows, and something pretty user-friendly. When it comes down to it, all I really use this machine for is surfing the web and playing games, so keep that in mind. If you need to know the specs of my system, here they are:
Athlon XP 2500+ OC'd to 3200+
Asus a7n8x mobo
Thermaltake PurePower 420w PSU
Dual Channel 512MB DDR
ATI Radeon 9500 softmodded to 9700
Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer
If there is anything else you need to know, just ask and I will try my best to answer : )
Thanks again guys and gals!

#2 ·
X_Gamer7 said:
Hello all! I have come back to the forums to ask you guys a favor, to help me with a few questions. For one, I am sick of Windows XP, it is too slow and uses too many resources, which I don't feel like explaining. Now, I just bought a brand new 160GB hard drive, and I want to install a good Linux distro on it. Something that is faster than Windows, and something pretty user-friendly. When it comes down to it, all I really use this machine for is surfing the web and playing games, so keep that in mind. If you need to know the specs of my system, here they are:
Athlon XP 2500+ OC'd to 3200+
Asus a7n8x mobo
Thermaltake PurePower 420w PSU
Dual Channel 512MB DDR
ATI Radeon 9500 softmodded to 9700
Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer
If there is anything else you need to know, just ask and I will try my best to answer : )
Thanks again guys and gals!
I run Redmond, now called Lycros and like it. I was hoping to run Redhat though.

#3 ·
To be perfectly honest, running games on linux is not easy. Your best bet is http://www.transgaming.com/ for gaming. Assuming you are talking about windows games such as world of warcraft, warcraft 3 etc...Some games have linux ports, such as ut2004, doom3..

As far as a first distro. I'd recommend suse, fedora (by redhat), or ubuntu.

The one thing to realize is that linux is not a replacement for XP...its a great os but its not one that you won't have problems with, and it doesn't always support the hardware you want it to.

Also, I just looked at your motherboard. The A7n8X boards have some known problems with their acpi and bios level dlci in linux. There is nothing that you can do about it unfortunately as far as I've found. You can still run linux but without those support for that stuff.

Oh and also...ati's support for linux is attrocious! Don't expect great performance from the card. Nvidia on the other hand has great support :(

#6 ·
well nothing really, just that certain things such as suspend to disk etc won't work, course why would you need that on a desktop so...

#8 ·
I just got my Ubuntu CD's (after a few months). The LiveCD is great since you can try it without installing.

But you may also like Knoppix. Version 4 will be out soon in 2 versions---a DVD with all kinds of software, and the traditional CD with a smaller amount. Both will be bootable and live, and both can be installed permanently if you like them.

#9 ·
I would suggest Mandriva (Mandrake) or Debian (ubuntu is based on debian).

If you are from India, try out PCQ Linux from http://www.pcquest.com. I don't know if they ship to foreign counries. You will get their mag for about Rs. 125 (US $ 2.5). Ask for March 2005 issue and PCQL 2005 comes with it. Its based on FC3, but their customisation is pretty good!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.