Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just bought the system, trying to turn it on for a test run, already ran into problems.

the P5B's standby blue light turns on. I can turn on the system via the power switch on the case, the fans start up, the P5B lights turn red (which is "active")

but there's no output on the monitor and no beeps from the bios

since this was supposed to be a minimal boot I didn't connect everything... I did the following:

1) connected the video card to the mb. no power supply link is needed for the card.
2) connected the cpu, ram, hdd. connected the cpu heatsink fan cable.
3) connected the main power supply line to the mb, as well as the 4-pin line
4) connected the power/res switches + leds

I have no other pci-e x16 cards to test to see if there's something wrong with the card.

I can't tell if the card is "on" as it's a fanless card with a passive heatsink

is there anything else I should try?

I've had motherboards grounding to the case before, but this doesn't look like that. when that happens usually the fans will spin up for a split second then die down. with this they stay on, the only problem is no video output

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Well sounds like when you had put it into the case you may have not installed the mobo correctly and shorted it or had a grounding issue.

reset the bios by removing the battery for 10 minutes or read the manual and it probably has a jumper you could set and just take a few sec (still need to remove the battery while setting the jumper) Don't forget to put jumper back.

Install everything you had before but DONT'T hook the hard drive up. Triple check the CPU is installed correctly and you have no bent pins. Make sure you also have the cpu fan plugged into the motherboard.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Be sure and always ground yourself by touching the power supply before handling the motherboard or other components to avoid electrostatic discharge. Use properly grounded outlet.

Items Needed
Non-conductive surface, such as a linoleum tabletop, cardboard or rubber mat.
Small screwdriver.
Known good power supply.

Components needed:

Motherboard
(Access/Enter Motherboard BIOS and Troubleshooting BIOS Beep Codes)
CPU/fan/heatsink
Video card
Troubleshooting a Video Adapter and Computer Monitor Flow Chart)
RAM -one RAM stick (note some mobo's require you to install a single stick in a certain slot, read the manual)
memtest86)
Monitor -
Keyboard - Not mandatory
Speaker - Hear beep codes
Power Supply -
(Flowchart for ATX Power Supply Repair best way is just try a known good power supply)

Remove everything from the case

Connect the components listed above, check all connections and be sure they are in their proper location and secure. If your motherboard has a small, square 4 pin power connector make sure its connected,
If you have already tried the unit inside the case, reseat the RAM and video card a few times to clean up the contacts. This means pull the card out of the slot and put it back in, often 6 or 8 times are needed to clean off oxidation.

Locate the Power On pins on the motherboard and short them briefly with a small screwdriver, that should power up the computer. If everything is properly connected, in working order and contacts are clean, you should see a BIOS screen and hear one beep.
Now we know that it may be a Mounting issue and you should check each standoff that is not matching up with a hole int the motherboard

Or it may be one of the pieces of hardware we have not connected yet.

If you get no video or beep, switch off the power strip or unplug the power supply to shut down. Reseat video card and RAM. Sometimes this must be done several times, heavy oxidation can be difficult to clean up.

If you still get no beep or video after several tries and have reseated the RAM and video, further troubleshooting is necessary. I won't go into great detail here, but the things to check are:

Video card - try a different one.
RAM - try a different chip.
Motherboard - Have it tested by a reputable computer shop.
CPU - Have it tested by a reputable shop.
Power supply - A weak power supply can be difficult to sort out,Best way is to try a Known good PS to diagnose

·
Super Moderator
46,575 Posts
I doubt that it is a video card problem, however you do know you could use an old pci card to test the system.

I always recommend going for a first post outside of the case. This will tell you if your mb, cpu, ram and video card are ok BEFORE you install it in the case.

BTW what ram are you using? C2Ds [and asus] are picky about ram.

·
Super Moderator
46,575 Posts
I have never seen that ram on the asus qvl list. The specs say it run at 1.8-2.0V so it "should" work however when you use ram not on the approved list, it may or may not work.

Have you tried a post outside of the case?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Well 3 of the 7 reviews at newegg says that it is working with their p5b mobo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustratingReview.asp?item=N82E16820231099

Its not listed on the QVL for the P5B
http://www.asus.com/999/download/products/1178/1178_10.pdf

Could it be the trouble? could be. I personally buy Corsair, Samsung or Crucial ram and never had an issue with any mobo I installed it in. always a good ideal to buy what the manufacturer suggest or at least buy name brand ram. Unfortunately the only way to tell is to try it with another stick of ram that is on the QVL to see if its the issue or not.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
a lot of places have said that with the updated bios the p5b is much less picky about ram. I can't even update the bios as is though... do I need to buy a stick of ram just to be able to boot to update the bios? seems like a bit of a waste

someone described this EXACT problem on the g.skill forums, so I'm guessing this is the problem.

·
Super Moderator
46,575 Posts
I would not be messing with the bios until you have done the following.
1 Post outside the case.
2 Test with ram known to work ie on the qvl list.

While updating the bios is a straightforward task, it does have a slight risk of rendering your system unbootable.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm virtually sure it isn't a grounding issue. every time I've run into a grounding issue in the past the system doesn't stay on-- it powers on for a fraction of a second then the fans turn back off. here, the fans stay on. other people online have described the same problem with this mb + this ram.

testing with qvl ram is frustrating because I don't particularly want to buy & wait for another stick of ram that I won't even be using after this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.