First up, heres the spec:

Asus P5K-E/Wifi AP
Intel Quadcore Q6600 2.4
Point of view 8800GT
OCZ Platinum XTC 2x1gb pc6400/800mhz DDR2
Samsung 500GB spinpoint HD
Sony DVDRW
Antec p180 case.

So I've assembled my PC, I believe it POSTs (as I can get into the BIOS, or even so far in the Windows installation), but after a while it just turns off. I think its around 4-6 minutes. I'm sure that the CPU/heatsink etc is fitted properly, as I monitored the temperature from the BIOS and it remained 23/24c before the system abruptly turned off.

I've heard my motherboard (Asus P5K-E/Wifi AP) has problems with my OCZ XTC-Platinum ram. I tried changing the timings to 4-4-4-15 from the default 5-5-5-15, but the text seems purple and a bit wavey on the screen. I assume this is down to not enough voltage going to the RAM, but there is no option in the BIOS to up it (to around 2.1v I've heard).

Slighty related too:

I just found these in the box. My 8800GT is the Point Of View one, and it has 1 power socket on it, which (at the moment), is filled by one directly from the motherboard like so;

Now. Should I use the provided 'splitter' (not sure if thats the right term to use), with two connectors from the PSU going into that one on the graphics card? Also, what the hell are all the little cables and where on earth do they go on the motherboard? I assume its to read data from the card, fan speed etc.

If you could help this, I'm one step closer :up:

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
First thing is the graphics card cable. Its plugged into the card fine, but I think the power is isnt right. Most makers say to plug both the molex connectors on the cable (the white ones with 4 pins in) into the power supply. You need to make sure they are both connected, and to different lines out of the power supply. your pic doesnt show where the power is coming from now, but if its straight from the mobo, i would guess theres not enough getting through. The power going in is probably enough to start up, but as the graphics card starts to work it wont have enough power, and that couod cause shutdowns.
The purple text and wavt lines also suggest graphics probs, not memory. It could be the power supply (which hopefully we fixed above), or if not, then either card or cable seating. Check the connecting cable from the monitor to the computer is securely in at both ends- if its pulled out slightly it will cause weirdness (took me half a day to figure that on out when mine did it!), or if not that, then take the card out and seat it back again firmly.
As for the memory, I use OCZ a lot. The mem timings at 4-4-4-15 shouldnt cause a problem, but slacking down to 5-5-515 would probably help if its a bit iffy. As for the voltage, dont up it! ! ! 800 is designed, with ocz, for 1.8V. The only one that would run at 2.2V is the 1 066 mem. The mobo will choose the right voltage automatically for you, so unless yo uare a seasoned clocker, i would strongly suggest not to alter it.
So, from the posted symproms, i would be disinclined to think the memory has any probs. Redo the graphicd power, check the connecting cable and reseat the card, hopefully that should gret you back to normal :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, thanks for the reply man -- But I've already fixed it so far. Turns out it was the Heatsink of the CPU not fitted to the mobo correctly, found out one time it was running at 80c (ouch). Now its down to 21c and currently at 80% of a long NTFS format of my HD, ready to install windows! :)

As it stands, I'll leave the graphics card power (which comes from the PSU btw) in as is. If I experience any problems when the PC is properly up and running with an OS, I'll change it then.

Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.