Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I hope that this is the right thread.

I am in the process of putting together my new system.

This is what I have so far:

AMD Athlon 64 AM2 X2 Dual Core 4200 (speed: 2.21Ghz)
1 Gig DDR2 Memory (2x 512MB PC5300 in Dual Channel Mode)
Gigabyte GA-M55Plus-S3G AM2 Motherboard RoHS
NEC AD-7170 16x Dual Layer +/- DVDRW RAM Drive
Black 1.44MB Floppy Drive
Coolermaster Elite 330 Black Professional Series Tower Case
EZ Cool 550 Watt Large Fan Power Supply
320Gb & 400gb HDD's

I am currently using the onboard graphics but am looking at either: EVGA Geforce 7900 GS KO or Gainward 7900GS Golden sample - not sure which and am open to other suggestions.

I use a program called memTurbo II and it is currently saying that I have between 500M and 600M RAM free - on my old system it was usually about 900, rarely dipping below 750. Will adding a graphics card change this?

also, is there anything else I could do to make the system top notch - i.e.overclocking through Gigabyte's EasyTune?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Forget about measuring the amount of free memory, it's a useless statistic. Think about it, if you have most of your memory "free", the system is crammed into the small remaining amount that is "in use".

Memory enhancers are a total waste, and don't do anything for performance. For your reading enjoyment: The Memory-Optimization Hoax

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for that...

however, it still shows a big difference between the 2 systems.

anyway... does anyone have any thoughts between the Gainward and EVGA graphics cards?

·
Super Moderator
46,561 Posts
Both gainward and evga are quality mfgs. Either card will work well so I would choose which ever one has the features / price you want.
I agree that those apps that attempt to "optimize" memory are a complete waste of money.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.