Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I decided to build my own computer to save money... Bad idea it seems.

Problems out of the box. Initially it would not turn on due to 'USB OVERCURRENT'I solved that with some electrical tape on the bottom of the USB pins on the motherboard (it was shorting as far as I know).

Got everything up and running... then it crashed again. Black screen. Everything off. Like someone pulled the plug.

I thought it was the mobo shorting again (as I had read on other forums) so I took it out and coated the case with duct tape to prevent shorting. The supplied screws did not fit so well, so I only have two holding it in at the moment - Do all screws need to be in for proper grounding?

Right now I'm thinking it is CPU over heating, as it turns off after a while and then keeps turning off. I've been monitoring the temperature as of late and it idles around 40C spiking up to about 47C when ripping a CD...

I removed the heatsink and cleaned off the stock thermal gel and replaced it with ArticSilver. I thought this solved the problem until it crashed again.

So far I've had luck with two things. Leaving the case open and having a big fan blow in (temperature of CPU still goes up to 47C though when busy...) and the second, taking the motherboard out and setting it on a piece of wood. I haven't had the computer crash as of yet using one of these two methods (not both at once) however I'll continue monitoring this evening to see if it crashes.

I'm really not too sure what to do, whether its CPU over heating, or the Mobo isn't being grounded now or what. I've been fiddling with the damn thing all weekend. What saved me a couple hundred bucks cost me too many hours =(

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
u don't need to duct tape anything when building a computer
all the risers need to be screwed into the ultra case only where your motherboard needs to be screwed down (9 in your case)
as far as the shutting down pay attention to the heatsink/fan installation

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I've double and triple checked the heatsink (hence the adding ArticSilver) so I'm really not too sure. I'll try putting all the screws in.

While having the external fan running full blast, it still randomly shut down. The CPU temperature did not exceed 50C though. However, when I rebooted, it stayed on and has not crashed again. Played Crysis again and this time the mobo reached a temperature of 45C (redzone according toe probe) but nothing happened...

What gives!?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.