Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a deal on a 3200+ and a gig of 3200 ram today, too good to pass up really. Did a little side work and got my new in the box stuff.:D

I was running a 2400+ with 2700 ram before and I do see quite a difference in my games, but that isn't why I am here asking for advice.

The 2400 idled at about 39*C and when it had been rode hard it would top out at about 48*C.

This thing idles at about 45*C and tops out at about 57*C. In my opinion that is some hot stuff. I know the max die is 85 and I know a faster processor is going to run hotter, but this much hotter?

I was out of AS5 so I used the stuff that comes with the processors heat sink, it looked silver. :D :confused:

Question for anybody that is running one of these higher end athlon xps. Is this thing too hot? I don't want to fry it, I put a furnace in to earn it. LOL

I guess thats all I want to know, it is a nice processor. Too bad I couldn't swindle a 64 for it, but that would have been cheating the guy and he is a friend of mine.;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
hey skivvy. i have a 2800 and it idles at 54*C. when playing a game, it is about 59*C. Mine has always been like that. my fan is a Thermaltake Volcano 11. it is very loud but i don't know if it is doing the job.

·
Registered
14,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I had a Thermaltake on the other processor,but since I was out of AS5 I used the stock cooler.

You kind of miss that turbo sound when it is gone. I may end up putting it back on. :D

·
Registered
14,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, I put the volcano back on. I had enough AS5 left to get the job done. I could actually most likely do another processor with what is left.

Now my temps are 42*C idle and 53*C full load. I am guessing that is pretty good for an XP3200+.

Somebody please correct me if I am wrong. :up:

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
I go from 49 idle to 57 full load - lucky ;)

·
Registered
14,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thank you Cheese. I have never had a Barton core or an Athlon XP as fast as this one. I like a cool running machine and I guess I'll get used to seeing the temps I am seeing now.

I got kind of spoiled with the 2400+ temps. That thing run cool even OC'd on the FSB.
Oh well, I'll take some heat for better performance. Shoulda gone 64 but that is expensive and things are changing to fast right now. 939 pin 940 pin 754 pin.:confused:

This processor will take me through the next couple of years I hope, then maybe things will be cheaper and more standardized. OR, maybe it will be more expensive and more confusing.:D

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Too many sockets :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.