Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I posted a thread about a modem not functioning properly a few weeks ago, and I found a cheap deal on modems this week, so I picked a couple up today. The thread for the other modem is here.

I installed the new one, a BestData 56HP. The drivers went in just fine. Now, instead of "No Dial Tone" like with the previous modem, I get "No Answer". I've tried all access numbers available, still the same result.

I hooked up a phone to the "Phone" side of the modem and made sure I got a dial tone. The dial tone comes across on line 1, but NOT on line 2.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

-Mark

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
You said, "The dial tone comes across on line 1, but NOT on line 2."

Do you mean that this is a two line phone connection? That may be a problem with a Modem?

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
winbob said:
Do you mean that this is a two line phone connection? That may be a problem with a Modem?
Yes, every jack in the house is a two line phone jack. I don't know if it's a problem or not with a modem. I haven't used a modem for many many years, and back then I didn't have two lines, so I am not sure.

I'm building this PC for someone for occasional web surfing and emailing, so they only need a dialup connection...but I need to set up and test the internet here before I ship the computer to them, as they have no idea how to set anything up.

-Mark

·
Registered
17,584 Posts
Is the modem actually dialling out? Listen on a phone that is also connected to the line that the modem uses.

Have the modem dial the number of your Line #2 (when the modem is connected to Line #1), and see if it actually does ring out and back in?

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Kiwi,

In the US, a two line Phone only has one line coming out of the wall. The Line's Plug should be different than a single I believe???

The phone instrument has to be able to handle the different wiring/service, which I do not believe a standard dial Modem can do. :confused:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.