Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a post of mine quoted from another forum, which didn't yield much help.

So I got a new laptop (Toshiba Satellite P105-S9722) and I am completely in love with it. I just have one problem. My wireless connection drops VERY frequently. By frequently I mean, I'll be connected for about 3 minutes tops, before it drops again. Now, its not like this all the time, but when it does happen, it lasts for a ridiculously long time. No other computer in the house experiences this. No matter where my laptop is in the house, I get connection drops all the time. Is there any way to remedy this at all, or will I just have to deal with it?
1)For encryption, its set to disabled. Should I set it to WEP? (EDIT: Every time I set it to WEP, it resets itself to disabled. Hmm.)

2)Yes, I am picking up other access points (my neighbors). But the connection is such low quality on all computers (with my neighbors networks), that its pretty much impossible to test if its my network that is causing the problems.

3)My wireless card is an Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Net, for reference.
Thanks for any help in advance!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well... for accessto the neighbors AP I would suggest a better wireless card. I have a Belkin Pre-N true MIMO wireless NIC it uses the PCMCIA slot on you computer and has a very wide range and it works great for connecting WLANs that are a little bit farther away(depending on which state you're in this may or may not be illegal ;) ).

Now as for your own WLAN I would suggest using that pinhole button first (try to use something non-metalic) to reset the routers settings. If that dosent help your connection uninstall any software you have for the router and NIC then reinstall it (do a full uninstall even if the software says you can do a reinstall. It just works better that way)On the reinstall try not using any security at all if it works then add the security.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ITpro4470 said:
Now as for your own WLAN I would suggest using that pinhole button first (try to use something non-metalic) to reset the routers settings. If that dosent help your connection uninstall any software you have for the router and NIC then reinstall it (do a full uninstall even if the software says you can do a reinstall. It just works better that way)On the reinstall try not using any security at all if it works then add the security.
Erm, as far as I know, i don't have any router software installed on this laptop.

·
Registered
58 Posts
err sorry bout that you should only have software for the wireless NIC unless you use windows zero configuration in which case the software is built into windows. You may also want to try updating or reinstalling the driver for your wireless nic. To do this click start > rtclick my computer> click properties > goto the hardware tab> click on device manager>click on network adapters>find the wireless network card (it should wither say wireless or 802.11)>rt click on this select properties>on this page go to the drivers tab click on update driver.
now if updating the driver dosent work first you can try reinstalling the driver. first you'll need the driver if you dont have the CD usually a google search will net you a driver download then uninstall the driver and install the driver again. Reinstalling the driver can get kind of advanced if you're not comfortable with doing that type of thing I would suggest not doing it at all b/c if not done properly your wireless NIC could be rendered useless.

·
Super Moderator
65,526 Posts
No other computer in the house experiences this. No matter where my laptop is in the house, I get connection drops all the time.
are the other P's on wireless or just you

do you have a cordless phone

download and run this software
Free software to check signal strength of wireless is netstumbler 0.4.0 available for download from http://www.stumbler.net/

Now it could be a firmware issue on the router - post make and model
so that may help

or it may be a DNS issue to test for that do the following

post an ipconfig /all

TWO Methods to do that - some people have problems with ONE----

ONE ---------------------------------
start
run
cmd
ipconfig /all

rightclick in the box
select all
enter
control key + C key - to copy
then reply here and
control key + V to paste

TWO -----------------------------------------------

Start, Run, CMD to open a DOS window and type:

IPCONFIG /ALL >C:\RESULT.TXT

Open C:\RESULT.TXT with Notepad and copy/paste the entire results here.

NEXT lets see if you can get out onto the internet with both names and IP's - its possible the IP number you get back on the first test is different to the one I post {I'm in UK} so use the number you get instead of mine

------------------------------------------------
try ping the name and then the IP see below

start
run
cmd

C:\Documents and Settings\wayne>ping {the default gateway ipaddress you got above }

C:\Documents and Settings\wayne>ping google.com
Pinging google.com [64.233.187.99] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=120ms TTL=243
Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=107ms TTL=243
Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=102ms TTL=243
Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=101ms TTL=243

Ping statistics for 64.233.187.99:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 101ms, Maximum = 120ms, Average = 107ms

C:\Documents and Settings\wayne>ping 64.233.187.991
Ping request could not find host 64.233.187.991. Please check the name and try a
gain.
C:\Documents and Settings\wayne>ping 64.233.187.99
Pinging 64.233.187.99 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=116ms TTL=243
Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=113ms TTL=243
Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=113ms TTL=243
Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=111ms TTL=243

Ping statistics for 64.233.187.99:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 111ms, Maximum = 116ms, Average = 113ms

C:\Documents and Settings\wayne>
I had to put the DNS server IP into my router D-Link to stop it dropping the connection each hour

NOW if its JUST The one machine and other wireless PC's are OK

then it may need a driver update as posted above

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
ITpro4470 said:
Well... for accessto the neighbors AP I would suggest a better wireless card. I have a Belkin Pre-N true MIMO wireless NIC it uses the PCMCIA slot on you computer and has a very wide range and it works great for connecting WLANs that are a little bit farther away(depending on which state you're in this may or may not be illegal ;) ).
I suggest you read the TSG Rules before your next post. With or without the smileys, we don't suggest illegal acts here at TSG. :down: Your tenure here will be a short one if that's going to be the quality of your advice.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sorry about that John I'm not trying to get banned from the forums or anything I won't suggest anthing that is or may possibly be illegal again. I hope to bring alot to these forums and to learn alot. Please accept my full appology.

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
Make sure you have from your laptop manufacturer the latest driver and utility for your Intel adapter. Use the Intel adapter and make sure that XP's WZC is not running.

If this doesn't fix things, please post the ipconfig /all and answer etaf's questions.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TerryNet said:
Use the Intel adapter and make sure that XP's WZC is not running.
I think that might be my problem. I uninstalled the Intel Connection Manager thinking I wouldn't need it. I'll redownload it and update on my progress from there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.