Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys...

I am planning to replace my old CPU wid a brand new one...These r my configurations...Please help me in choosing the best keeping the cost also in mind...

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2Ghz Processor - $115
Intel DG33 FBC motherboard - $118
270GB HDD SATA - $70
Transcend 1GB DDR-II RAM - $18
Sony DVD-Writer - $34

Total Estimated Cost: $355 or INR 14,200/-

Please help me out with the best companies for each product and also any additions if necessary...I would also be playing some standard games which require some kind of graphics...But I dont wanna get a graphics card...I was said that the DG33 FBC motherboard can make the processor support the standard games...

Also which is better??Intel DG33 FBC or Intel DG33 BUC motherboard???

Note:If the products need to be mentioned more specifically to the retailer then plz let me know coz i dont have much knowledge abt this...I have tried my best to do a survey on the net and i came up with this configuration....Please help me as soon as possible....I would love to hear your comments...

Thank you...

·
Registered
11,670 Posts
The Intel DG33FB and DG33BU are basically the same boards except for the form factors. The DG33FB is an ATX board the DG33BU is a Micro ATX board. The only difference in the boards is that the DG33FB has 1 more PCI slot and 2 more PCI X1 slots. Both boards have onboard video, and both boards support the C2D E4500 processor.

http://compare.intel.com/pcc/showchart.aspx?mmID=30273,29052&familyID=12&culture=en-US

I would recommend the DG33FB board to get the extra PCI slot and the 2 additional PCI x1 slots. If you plan on installling either one of these boards in an existing chassis you need to make sure the chassis supports both ATX and Micro ATX form factors.

As to the memory I recommend that you go to a site such as www.crucial.com or www.kingston.com and use their configurator to get your memory. With either brand you will have guaranteed compatibility with a lifetime warranty.

Here is some information on memory for the FB board.

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/dg33fb/sb/cs-026593.htm

Instead of a single stick of 1Gb. of memory I would get two sticks of 512Mb. so you can run the board in dual channel.

As to the games, I don't know if the onboard video will work with the games you intend to play, but you can always add a PCIe video card IF your power supply has enough amperage to support a PCIe card.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh okie...thanks a lot...that was great info for me...also i would like to know if the power supply plays any important role in the performance...if so which power supply should i go for??it would be great iof you could provide me with some details on the power supply...thanks once again...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
also i juz came up wid a confusion...I googled on the net for 1gb ddr II ram...it showed me two things...
1GB DDR II RAM 667MHZ
1GB DDR II RAM 800MHZ...

Whats up with these two things???which one is betetr??are they the same???what abt the cost factor??these things get so confusing at times...

·
Registered
11,670 Posts
oh okie...thanks a lot...that was great info for me...also i would like to know if the power supply plays any important role in the performance...if so which power supply should i go for??it would be great iof you could provide me with some details on the power supply...thanks once again...
Of course the power supply plays an important role. It supply's the power for all the components in the system. If you are going to build a simple system using onboard video and onboard sound, I would recommend a power supply of around 500 watts with either a single +12v rail of around 40 amps, or with a power supply with multiple +12v rails I would choose one with two +12v rails with 17+ amps on each rail. If you are going to add a PCIe video card, then I would want a power supply of 500-600 watts, and if the power supply has a single +12v rail choose one with 40-50 amps on that rail, or if it has multiple +12v rails I would want one with at least three +12v rails with 17-19 amps per rail.

Personally, I only use two brands of power supplys, either PC Power & Cooling (all single rail +12v units) or Antec (multiple +12v rail units). Of course there are other good brands such as Silverstone, Corsair and others. Don't go cheap with a power supply. Cheap power supply's can cause you never ending problems.

also i juz came up wid a confusion...I googled on the net for 1gb ddr II ram...it showed me two things...
1GB DDR II RAM 667MHZ
1GB DDR II RAM 800MHZ...

Whats up with these two things???which one is betetr??are they the same???what abt the cost factor??these things get so confusing at times...
The boards you are considering will support either DDR2 667Mhz or DDR2 800Mhz. DDR2 800Mhz. will be slightly faster than DDR2 667Mhz.

You didn't say what operating system you are using, but if you are using Windows XP and are considering later switching to Windows Vista I would go ahead and kick the memory up to 2Gbs. (2 x 1Gb. sticks). Use either one of the configurators I linked to in post #2 and choose memory that operates on 1.8v

Personally, I prefer Crucial memory. I have used it for years and never gotten a bad stick of memory. As a note, Crucial is the same as Micron.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.