Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello <again>,

Finally got the new motherboard through and have connected everything up. This time it all turns on and I have a display on screen.

However...

I insert a wndows xp cd to install the os, it cycles through all the usual bits at the bottom (ie press f2 to install a third party raid driver) and then hangs on the "Loading windows setup" right before you get the screen that allows you to format your HD / make a partition.

I can't get it further than this, and as such I am a bit stuck. In addition when the computer is first powered on I get a message

"cmos checksum error" Press tab to enter set-up or F1 to continue.

If I F1 it hangs at the installing windows screen and if I tab into set-up I can make changes but when I save and exit it hangs and nothing gets saved to the bios.

Any ideas?

(oh and yes I have cleared the cmos using the jumper settings on the board)

Spec:

E6600 Core duo
Abit AW9D-Max mobo
x1950pro ati graphix
2 x 1 gigs of Ballistix memory (also tried using stock 512mb crucial)
500w PSU (antec 550HE)

Thanks in advance :rolleyes:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The time and date was pre-set and is correct.

I do have a SATA hard-drive but I have not had the opportunity to load in any drivers as I don't have a disk (bought OEM).

Would the SATA driver come on my mobo driver disk? And if so how would I install it as I can't get into windows.....

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
The sata drivers are on the mobo cd, you will have to load them onto a floppy disc.
When you install windows you will get an option to load third party drivers press F6, make sure floppy is in drive and follow on screen prompts
As for the sata dvd have not gone down that road yet, others may be able to help, I should imagine its similer to the hard drives

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Your usb's wont work yet as windows loads the drivers.
I never build a system without a floppy, still handy
I have not checked the specs of you mobo, the chipset on alot of newer boards recognize sata drives.
Go into bios and see if there is an option to enable sata

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep there is an option o enable, which I have tried. However I am still in the same situation that when I try toi save and exit the bios screen it hangs and nothing actuall gets saved...

I think it must have something to do with Cmos checksum error, but god knows what....?

·
Super Moderator
46,576 Posts
Ok, there seems to be some mis-information. Does setup "see" your hd? If so, you do not need to load a driver for the sata controller.

Many sata controllers have two [or more] settings in the bios; raid or standard ide. Since you are not using raid, make sure it is set to standard ide.

A checksum error is generated when the bios does not see the hardware it expects to see. An example is when you swap cpus without clearing cmos. Once you clear cmos, enter the bios and load defaults; save settings and restart.

·
Registered
22,466 Posts
Thats an 865 chipset mobo so it most likely does require a sata driver on floppy for setup of XP. I don't know if you can do that with a cd or not, the request is always for a floppy disk so you may have to buy a drive and install it to use that motherboard. Maybe someone else can answer if you can do that with a cd, as I know you cannot with usb port.

·
Super Moderator
46,576 Posts
Rich he has an abit aw9d-max; it is a 975 chipset board.
You can integrate the driver into a custom install CD. I have made xp cds for promise, highpoint, and nvidia controllers; no need for the floppy drive. I doubt that he needs to load a driver. If setup "sees" the drive, there should be no need to load a driver.

·
Registered
22,466 Posts
crjdriver said:
Rich he has an abit aw9d-max; it is a 975 chipset board.
You can integrate the driver into a custom install CD. I have made xp cds for promise, highpoint, and nvidia controllers; no need for the floppy drive. I doubt that he needs to load a driver. If setup "sees" the drive, there should be no need to load a driver.
Yeah sorry I must have been reading another post somehow as I don't know where I got 865 chipset on this thread...just please disregard me here...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys ;)

Computer is all ok now and boots fine. The solution:

Computer was reading drives and got so far before falling over. However I was concerned about the CMOS checksum error and the fact the computer would not save any bios settings.

I checked a few websites which suggested clearing the CMOS and removing the battery on the board for 10 mins during the CMOS clearing procedure.

Completed that and all was fixed - checksum error went away and everything suddenly started working perfectly. I didn't even need to install any SATA drivers which was handy as I didn't have a floppy drive.

So all is installed and it works ACE and looks like I'll have a happy xmas after all!

Once again, thanks for the replies :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.