Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a Win XP Pro, I have a working C drive that is 4 years old and because pure paranoia that might stop working, I bought a new internal hard drive.
My plan is to install it and loaded with my Win XP Pro (do not want to duplicate o mirroer) and make it bootable (I still do not know how) once I have achive this, I was going to go inside the case and swicht hard drives. Would this work?

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Change the boot order in the BIOS and there will be no need to change anything inside the case.

If the objective is to have a spare bootable drive, in my opinion, it would be better to simply lay the drive aside and do a drive image to DVD using a program like Ghost or Acronis True Image.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
If I understood your original post correctly, you said you do not want to duplicate or mirror... Do you intend a clean install of the OS on the new drive? If so, are you aware you will need to reinstall all your program applications and go through setups for peripherals like printers and such. And what about files you have created, photos, emails, etc.

If your current XP Pro installation is working OK, I suggest you consider simply cloning your current drive to your new drive. That way it will be completely transparent. That is, everything will be the same, just on a new hard drive. This is pretty easy to do, post back if you want details.

Raybro

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.