Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello i got a new build for a friend. I get no signal on the screen.All of the fans seem to be running fine the disk drive seems to be making weird sounds please help

·
Registered
277 Posts
Make sure all the components are in properly, double check RAM is pushed down all the way.

Did you plug in the 4/8 pin motherboard power plug.

Try reseting the bios with motherboard jumper/battery.

Do you have graphics card or unboard graphics?

List all the spec, including PSU.

Are there any beeps when you turn it on or is there an led error code display on motherboard?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HIS radeon 6870

Asus m4a77t/usb3 atx amd mobo

seagate barracuda 1TB HD

Coolmax vl600 psu

amd phenom II x4 955 black edition quad core cpu

pixxo cg 8402 black computer case

·
Super Moderator
46,543 Posts
First of all, did you read AND follow the guide at the top of the forum for problem builds?

Next list your exact specs. Post links to the parts you used. For example there are two different 955 cpus; a C2 stepping and a C3 stepping. The bios revision needed to run the newer C3 may or may not be installed on your board.

Next coolmax is ok for a budget type build to run office, play solitaire, etc. I would NOT be using a coolmax pw supply with a 6870 type card.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
okay update the comp wouldnt even start up for some reason so i unplugged everything and started again so i unplugged the graphics card and i guess its pulling to much power will go with a kingwin or antec psu

·
Super Moderator
46,543 Posts
OK, you still have not answered if you have read and followed the troubleshooting guide.

Next coolmax does build some decent pw supplies however the one you linked to is not one of them. That is a pretty low quality unit.

·
Super Moderator
46,543 Posts
Okay I did everything I knew how to do I do not know how yo reset the. Bios with the battery. Also what brand do u reccomend for psu's
You do not pull the battery to clear cmos. To properly clear cmos;
1 Pull out the pw cord from the pw supply
2 Hit the ON button 2~3 times [this removes all residual pw from the pw supply capacitors]
3 Clear cmos with the clear jumper for a minimum of 10 seconds
4 Replace jumper to the keep position and replace the pw cord
5 Pw ON and enter the bios. Load optimal defaults; save settings and restart. Done

Note asus calls cmos RTC or real time clock.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i dont know what you mean by out of the case. But i started from scratch and bought parts and went from there; also, his case is running like 4 120mm fans the 6870 harddrive, disc drive and cpu. how much power would be a little overkill so he has some room to play with if he gets more stuff.

·
Super Moderator
46,543 Posts
OK, then you have not followed the guide which has you put the board on a non-conductive surface and connect basic parts ie monitor, video, pw supply. You then see if the board will post in that condition. No post and you substitute parts with known good units and repeat until you find the problem hardware.

If you are unable to do the above, then the very best advise I could give you would be to take your parts to a local shop and have them troubleshoot it for you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.