Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I just registered to the forums because I'm having major problems with the PC I built about a month ago. First the specs:

CPU - E6600 w/stock cooler
Motherboard: P5B-E
RAM - 2 x 1 GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (TWIN2X2048-6400)
Video Card - Sapphire x1950 Pro 256 MB PCI-E
HD - 2 x 400 GB Seagate SATAII
Power Supply - Antec TrueBlue 480 Watt ATX12V

Here's my problem: Every time I boot up the PC when it has been shut off for some time (30 mins or more), the PC will freeze and then reboot at the Windows login screen. Usually after freezing/rebooting, the PC will come up and load fine. Rather than write everything over, you can view the entire problem here:

http://forum.pcmech.com/showthread.php?p=1193769#post1193769

Basically, I thought it would be a RAM problem, and one stick of Ram did get errors in Memtest, but I'm only using the other stick that passed Memtest and the PC still freezes. I thought it may be a driver/software problem, but I installed Vista on a separate partition last night without installing any drivers, and it freezes when booting Vista. So now I'm to the point where I think it could be a power supply problem. Any ideas as to how I can troubleshoot this problem?

·
Registered
22,466 Posts
I am wondering if it may be booting too fast for drivers. Does the bios offer "quick bootup" or anything similar you can disable?
I would try another video card. The fact that it boots fine into safe mode suggests a driver issue, the most obvious of which could be the video card, which is no issue in safe mode. So video driver or card itself is probably the issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was actually wrong in saying that it boots into safe mode without a problem. This morning I just tried booting into safe mode after leaving the PC off for a couple minutes and it did freeze on the safe mode boot as well.

I may have had a breakthrough though. I disabled the JMicron controller in the BIOS and it has booted up fine twice, with no freezes. The only problem is that neither my DVD burner or floppy work now since this is disabled (both IDE drives). My guess is that the JMicron Controller was set to AHCI in the BIOS, and instead should be set to IDE since only the DVD burner and Floppy are using those ports. If this is the solution to the problem I will be so ecstatic!

Edit: It looks like I spoke too soon. Disabling the JMicron didn't help, the computer was off for about an hour or so, and upon booting up it froze on the Windows Loading Progress Bar again, and rebooted. It even froze when trying to boot into safe mode as well. I'll try to disable that quickboot in the BIOS and see if that helps

·
Super Moderator
46,570 Posts
I do notice one thing. Your memory uses 1.9V; your board will default to 1.8V for the vdimm. Enter the bios and set your memory voltage to the correct value; save settings and restart. Note this could very easily be why you got errors with one memory chip.

Next was this a clean install of the os or did you use an existing install when you installed the parts?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rich-M said:
Ddi you put in the motherboard drivers?
Yeah, I've done 2 fresh installs since building the PC and have updated all the drivers from the motherboard CD.

crjdriver said:
I do notice one thing. Your memory uses 1.9V; your board will default to 1.8V for the vdimm. Enter the bios and set your memory voltage to the correct value; save settings and restart. Note this could very easily be why you got errors with one memory chip.

Next was this a clean install of the os or did you use an existing install when you installed the parts?
Sorry I should have mentioned this first, I have tried both setting the voltage to 1.9V and to 2.1 V (as was recommended on the Corsair Forums for my motherboard model). Both times, the freezing still persisted :down:

I'm going to try to get a cheap video card and see if that helps my problem or not...I will also try to use an old power supply and see if that's the problem. Of course I'll do one before the other so I know what could be the culprit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just an update, bought a cheap Video card last night and tried it in the system...it still freezes after being off for over an hour when you boot up, and the Windows screen with the loading bar. Is it possible that its a power supply problem? The only reason I doubt its a Windows problem is that it only freezes when its been off for an hour or more, and even a fresh install of Vista still freezes as well.

·
Super Moderator
46,570 Posts
In one of your earlier posts you posted that with memtest you had one ram chip with errors. I am wondering have you swapped slots and tried memtest again?

What happens with the old power supply?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I actually tried each stick of RAM individually, and the first stick came back with 2 errors after running for about 40 minutes. I took that stick out and put the 2nd stick into the same slot and it ran for about an hour with no errors. I've left that second stick into the first DIMM and left out the 1st stick (one with errors) all together. I haven't run Memtest in the second DIMM yet, but I have tried booting with the RAM in that slot and it still freezes.

I thought that the power supply in my old computer would work, but its only a 20+4 pin whereas I need a 24+4 pin PS. I ordered one online and should get it by early next week. So for now I guess it could either be a power supply problem, motherboard, or possibly ram, but I've done a lot of testing with the RAM and it seems as though the second stick works OK. I'll try the second DIMM and test each stick of RAM seperately and see if I still get errors.

·
Super Moderator
46,570 Posts
Ok, a 20+4 pin power supply can be used on either 20 pin or 24 pin boards. What it has is a detachable piece of the atx connector. Most ps sold today are 20+4.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh, so would it be possible to use my old PS (which is an Antec SmartBlue 350) on my Asus P5B-E motherboard? I tried looking at it this morning, and I'm unsure how to make it fit. The main power connector on the motherboard is 24 pins, and the power supply is 20 pins...so how would I make it plug into the slot? Sorry for my ignorance!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK, well I don't seem to be having that much luck as my PC is still freezing. I've tried a different video card, and also a new power supply and the thing still freezes at the Welcome screen. I'm utterly confused now, because while it could be hardware related, it seems that it's weird that it would freeze once Windows is loading (probably a software problem). I think I'm going to RMA the Ram because one stick is bad, but I don't think the 2 new sticks will solve the problem. Perhaps I should try a fresh install of Windows and see if that helps? This thing is so hard to test though because you have to wait 1/2 hour or more to see the problem. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
safe mode does seem to load OK, all though I'll leave the PC off for an hour and try booting into safe mode just to make sure. Perhaps it is a software/driver problem, and it seems the freezes have become more prevalent in recent days (probably from Windows becoming corrupted from the constant freezing/rebooting). Just 2 days ago, the PC froze and rebooted when I closed the printing status dialog box, and another time in Photoshop when I was applying a filter. Today with the new power supply, it froze to a black screen after logging in, probably about 20 seconds after logging in.

Edit: Also, in the past couple days, the PC has frozen about 4 times in the BIOS when we've been trying to change the settings. This is out of the ordinary, but I don't know if its related. I'm planning on doing a fresh XP install again tonight, then shutting down for an hour and then booting, and hopefully it will work fine. *crosses fingers*

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just shut off the PC for almost an hour, booted straight into safe mode with networking, and on the Welcome/Login Screen, after I typed in the password, it froze the instant I pressed enter after entering my password...Now I'm completely lost! Is my motherboard bad?

·
Super Moderator
46,570 Posts
You may have a corrupted profile. First of all I would pull the drive and slave it to the system you are using now. Copy whatever data you want; reinstall the drive. Now that your data / work files are safe, we can try a repair install or clean install.

1 I would test your hardware before reinstalling since it is a waste of time to install if you have bad ram, etc. Download and run memtest86. This runs from bootable media ie CD or floppy; no need for an os to even be installed. If the memory passes, then test the hd with the makers utility for checking the drive; again it runs from bootable media.

2 Once you are sure your hardware is ok, now we can try a repair install. If the repair does not work, then proceed with a clean install.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.