Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to load XP on my new hard drive and I'm running into problems.
...Have a new Seagate 120gig hard drive set to master
...Trying to load XP Professional, Boot from disk

Getting message:( there is number infront of MB forgot to write them down)

Unknown disk
There is no disk in this drive
Unknown disk
MB disk 0 at Id0 on bus 0 on atapi (MBR)
C: Partition1 (NTFS)
Unpartitioned space

I cannot get out the partition screens.

· Registered
538 Posts
Open up your BIOS (DEL during BOOTUP) and check if the drive is shown or at least detected.
Set your BIOS to AUTO on your HD. It may well be that your old drive is still present in the BIOS options. Have you checked your MASTER Selection jumpers? I forgat what the exact amount was, but large drives need a Drive manager or large drive enabler, a small program (on CD or Diskette) to format and set the drive internals.

bernardus

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looked at my BIOS and it looks ok, it recongized the new hard drive. Right now its the only drive I have in the system. Problem is the same cannot get past the Partition screens.

unknown Disk
(There is no dish in this drive.)
unknown disk
(Ther is no disk in this drive.)
131070 MD disk 0 at Id 0 on bus ) on atapi [mbr]
C: partition1 (unknown) 131062 MB (131061 MB dree
Upartitioned spce 8MD

· Registered
11 Posts
you said it was a 120gig HDD right? that message tells you its at least a 140 or close to. it shouldnt tell you that it has 131,062MB free if it has a max (and not even realistic because it gets shaved down) 120,000MB. how much storage cap did your old hard drive have? from what i see it must still have your old drive partitioned.

· Registered
538 Posts
It seems that your BIOS is not recognizing the drive properly
Did you check the size of the drive in BIOS? Cause I get the impression that your old drive is still at steak in the settings. Or the settings are just wrong than the BIOS cannot work with the drive. Did you set it to automatic?

bernardus

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have to apologize to you guys, I have been trying so many things that I am losing track on what I have done.

I have been using two different drive hoping one was the culprit ,no such luck they both act the same and I only connect one drive to the system at a time ,setup as a master and boot off of the CD.

I have been using a Seagate 120 gig and a WD 250 gig formated to 138 gig just incase. When I go to the BIOS it is reporting the the drive I have connected , I have checked and the setting is on Auto for all the four IDE location ID0 and ID1 (Master and Slave).

The response I got from the 250 and the 120 are the same except for the size of partition1 the unpartitioned space is reporting 8MB.

Again I apologize - know you guy are busy and will double check the information I send.

· Registered
538 Posts
Have you downloaded a Large drive enabler to format the new drive?
You have to run this program.
This drive manager is adapted to the kind of drive. You'll find it under the support download of the manufacturer. Large drives cannot be installed rightaway.
What does the bootupmessage tell you about the drive?
It is normal if the drive looses about 10% of its capacity because of formatting.
You cannot have, like LT GALAN stretched out, more than the drives capacity!

bernardus

· Registered
538 Posts
When installing an ultra large hard disk (bigger than 137gb), you must ensure your BIOS and service packs are up to date.

Operating systems and system BIOS have separate limitations that are related to specific hard drive capacities that affect how your hard drive will be supported.

137GB barrier:

The previous standard for IDE/ATA interface uses 28-bit addressing which cannot recognize more than 137.4 GB of storage. To overcome this capacity barrier, larger hard drives have adopted a 48-bit addressing system which must be used in newer computer systems with updated controller chips/cards, BIOS codes, and operating system service packs.

W2K and XP users must have the latest service packs installed to access more than 137GB.

Certain operating system utilities such as scandisk and defrag do not work properly with hard disks more than 137gb.

To avoid problems, partition your hard disks with 137gb or less.
If you still desire more than 137gb in a partition your hard disk must have the latest service packs and BIOS updates along with a 48bit controller card (if it isn't built into your motherboard. Newer motherboards needn't worry.)

32GB barrier:

If your BIOS was released before June 1999 your system may stall with drives larger than 32GB. The only solution is to update your BIOS.

Most hard disk manufactuers provide a partition CD which allows users to low-level format hard disks and create paritions if desired. This may be a work-around to those who do not have or do not want the latest service packs.

SATA drives:

If running SATA with XP, it is NOT recommended to run SATA along with IDE/ATA. (Use one or the other.) XP sometimes gets confused where to look for the OS and normally defaults to IDE/ATA. You must have the appropriate SATA drivers when installing a SATA drive(s) on your system. XP does not default to SATA formatting otherwise.

· Registered
538 Posts
I don’t think it’s clear what you have been doing.
If you haven’t been successful to format your HD, how can you expect to get true your start-up? At least you have to load a CD drive or a diskette to load XP. That is if you own a full version of XP. If not, you may need a boot up diskette and load a previous program like W98 for instance and later an up-grade XP. But than you have to be aware of the format of the drive. Fat 32 is common for W’98. If there is no master boot record nothing can happen, and the PC looks for a CD or a diskette to load. If there is none, it reply’s with NO DISK. You’re PC can’t start without a HD. The message ‘no disk inserted’, seems to point to a no CD present.
bernardus

· Registered
538 Posts
The unpartitioned size is related to an active drive. 7.8Mb is reserved for this function.
An Secondary drive has no reserved space. Since it is unpartitioned, I conclude that there is no bootup or MBR on the drive. But at least something is being read from the drive? Therefore it can't load. but your PC should try to find a loadable Bootup string, wether on a CD or A diskette. Don't you have any resque diskette or CD to format the drive or to see what the index is? A aprtition manager should do so.
bernardus

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bernardus,
Your response on the CD and no disk got me to look at the BIOS is little closer, so I change the starting line up on the boot and I don't know for sure if that was it or something else since I was going around in circles for pass couple of days but I am up and running.

Now the task of loading all the software!!!:eek:

Thanks to you and everyone for their support.
:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.