Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a network at our church. I usually have pretty good luck keeping it running. However, when it came our server's turn to have XP Pro updated to SP2 it shut down the network. I got everybody working again by using system restore on the server and all terminals (XP Home). Every once in a while some newbie will accept the Window upgrade to SP2 an it takes a few hours to fix it. It is probably some software on the server that causes this. I suspect Norton Internet Security. Any suggestion would be welcomed. :)

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Welcome to TSG.

I'm not fimlar with XP Home but try logging in as administrator, then right click My Computer, Select Manage, then services, scroll to Automatic Updates, right click it and select properties, stop and disable it.

·
Registered
391 Posts
SP2 also installs a more "robust"(meh, whatever, "paranoid" is the term here) firewall, that could be shutting off what I presume is the Internet Connection Sharing that you are running on the server.
by default the SP2 installs the firewall to file and print sharing to "off" and almost no network functionality.
Either disable the Windows Firewall alltogether and use a properly configured 3rd party firewall as I do(I myself use Norton Internet Security, if prop configured it is great.), or after the sp2 install, configure the networking, file/internet sharing and firewall options on the server's new SP2 firewall.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Colossus610 said:
SP2 also installs a more "robust"(meh, whatever, "paranoid" is the term here) firewall, that could be shutting off what I presume is the Internet Connection Sharing that you are running on the server.
by default the SP2 installs the firewall to file and print sharing to "off" and almost no network functionality.
Either disable the Windows Firewall alltogether and use a properly configured 3rd party firewall as I do(I myself use Norton Internet Security, if prop configured it is great.), or after the sp2 install, configure the networking, file/internet sharing and firewall options on the server's new SP2 firewall.
Your response seems to fit our scenario. I will give you a complete report as soon as I can try it. Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.