Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i am having problems connecting my pc to the network to get internet.. ok here's the scenario..

PC1 the main comp that router nd cable modem are plugged into and internet works fine...

PC2 computer with wireless card to connect to the wireless network that I am having trouble to connect with!! grrr (when i try 2 connect it says "Connected!" then under Wireless network connection it "Not Connected"

I also have a apple laptop that connects to this wireless network fine without any problems..

So 2 out of 3 computers work with internet.. PC2 finds the network but has trouble connecting to it..

I have a D-Link Router, the wireless network is a security-enabled network, and I have the router config filtered to mac addresses only...

Anyone have this similar problem getting a pc to connect to a wireless network? perhaps if i disabled the security on it, would that help? I want to try that, but how would I do that?

All help is appreciated thanks!!

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i already know how to add mac addresses.. that is not the issue..

i cant connect to my wireless network from pc2 (yes i added the mac address already) i dont know what to do anymore..

anyone plz!

· Registered
867 Posts
It's possible you need to let the modem and router reacquire the MAC addresses.

power off the computers

unplug router powercord.

unplug modem powercord.

wait 30 sec., plug in modem

wait 30 sec., plug in router

start up the computers

· Deceased Moderator Gone but never forgotten
82,272 Posts
First Name -
Terry
If you have encryption enabled, try w/o encryption until you get a successful session.

First determine if the problem PC is really communicating with the router when it claims to be connected.

To open a Command Window: Start - Run - cmd (command in 98SE) - OK

To determine a computer's IP address and router's IP address: open a Command Window and type
ipconfig /all

The "Gateway" is the router's IP address.

Now for some troubleshooting. Following is how to use ping to test for communication with your router, the internet, and the internet with symbolic name.

1. On the PC open a Command window and type
ping IProuter (where IProuter is the IP address of the router)

Do you get Replies, or do you get packets lost?

IF you got replies,
2. ping 66.94.234.13 (or any other internet address you know)

If you got replies,
3. ping www.yahoo.com (or any other internet name)

If you are not getting an IP configuration from the router, there may be a 3rd party firewall blocking access or you may be blocking yourself with one of those "fun" things like MAC address filtering.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.