Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Linksys Networking Card.
The computer worked fine, and recognized the card, the first two times I used the computer after installing the card. On the third time, and every time after, until I pulled the card, the computer would finish the BIOS sequence, so it was right to the point of loading Windows 95b, and stop. Doing nothing. When I pulled the card, the computer worked fine. I tried reinstalling the card, but the same thing happened again. HELP!!!!!

·
Registered
21,875 Posts
The card is probably fried. Do you get any link or activity lights with the card plugged in and CAT5 cable connected? With the cad out, go into Device manager and remove all traces of it, power down, install the card and power up again. If you get the same results as b4 I would say it's toast.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lights- yes. My other computer recognizes when the cable is plugged in, and the computer turned on.

I've already cleared all traces of the card from the system, and the same thing happens. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
389 Posts
The card is probably bad, as Rockn says, you might try it in another slot. If you get to the summary screen in DOS, see if the Irq of the card is listed, and if it is sharing with something else

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help.
I think my Plug n Pray stuff is screwed up. I decided to change to a different networking card pulled from a bust old computer, and it works OK as in the computer starts up, etc, but it won't recognize my other computer and my other computer won't recognize it. One (the one w/out the networking card progblems) is running XP, and the problem computer-95b. Are the two network compatible?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I, or rather my brother, got the card (the original one) working. PCI was set to use "Hardware" rather than "BIOS". So it works, and the computers are networked. Thank you both.:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.