Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm back with a networking questions again. This is so pissing. But this time my info is more clear I think.

I got two computers, a desktop and a laptop both running Windows XP Pro. The desktop one though has SP1. Anyways, I have a high speed connection with two IP's that the ISP provided us. Both computers and internet and are surfing no problem. I have a Linksys 5-port Auto sensing Switch that makes both computer have the internet.

The two computers have seperate IP's and subnets. I've read else where that computers can't network when they have different subnets but before my desktop computer's hard drive fried and I had to get a new hard drive, the computers were networking no problem. I have Zone Alarm Pro as my firewall and the Windows firewall is turned off. I added the IP of the laptop on the desktop computer to trusted and I did the same for the laptop computer. The hard drives are being shared at Maximum allow. I even ran Set up Network Wizard from Windows but I still can't get a network going. I'm sure that the workgroup name is the same but still nothing. I tried pinging the computer with cmd.exe but it can't find the other computer.

One more thing, I realized that ZoneAlarm shows my IP in the Network Type something like 245.654.969.0 when actually the 0 should be 78. So is there anything wrong actually?

Does anyone have any ideas about what I could do to get the network working?

Thanks

·
Registered
22,468 Posts
Sorry for that previous post. That's what I get for having multiple IE windows going.

As far as having a network with different IP addresses:

1. If possible, I would simply use a DSL router and save the extra monthly cost of that extra IP address.

2. If this is not possible, then you can just add in another protocol stack that will be used for the LAN. IP will be use for the Internet.

·
Registered
453 Posts
If I were you, I would definitely take Bob's advice and get a router. Then you won't have to worry about your PCs being in different subnets - and your Windows network will be protected by NAT and the router.

While you can get your PCs to share resources across subnets, I would definitely NOT recommend this for anyone unless they were experienced in networking. You are potentially exposing your systems to the entire Internet - or at least the systems that are part of each subnet that your computers are on - by sharing resources across subnets when you don't control the all the systems on both subnets.

Per Bob's other suggestion about another protocol stack, I'm not sure what he is referring to. I don't think that Netbeui can be used across subnets. I'm not too familair with IPX so maybe that is what Bob is suggesting. Bob?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But before I had to replace my hard drive, how did I end up networking the two computers? I mean now it seems impossible and all my settings are exactly the same I think. I really don't think I'll be getting a router anyways since I already have the switch and I'll have no use for it later. Also since I have two IP's I think switch is a little better. I mean the two IP's is a default for my ISP, I don't pay extra for having two.

·
Registered
453 Posts
How are your IP addresses assigned by your ISP? Not sure why they would give you two addresses that are not in the same subnet - unless you requested it? Do you have the same IP addresses you had before your hard drive got fried?

Windows Network Neighborhood browsing does not work unless both systems are in the same subnet - and are also in the same Workgroup or a Domain of the same name.

·
Registered
22,468 Posts
Although not common, there are ISP's that will assign different IP addresses with different subnets. Not sure why but it does happen. As long as you are not paying extra it really doesn't matter that much.

Again, if you only use TCP/IP then networking will not work.

If you use NetBEUI or IPX it should be fine.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, something strange happened. I still haven't got my network up but for some reason I think my ISP changed my IP address and subnet. I look back at my status for my connection and it's a completely different IP address and subnet. But now the subnet for the desktop and laptop are exactly the same.

I try to look in my workgroup hoping for the desktop to look for the laptop but there's still no network. The desktop can see itself it the workgroup and the laptop can see itself in the workgroup. But the computers are unable to talk to each other. I have ZoneAlarm and I set it so that those IP and subnets are Trusted Zones. But now I'm stuck. The internet is working on both computers but just no network. And I have a Linksys switch.

A lot of the tutorials I find for networking are always for networks without an interent connection going through it. They always tell me to put an exact IP address in order to network. So what are the steps for networking with a switch and an internet connection?

Thanks

·
Registered
22,468 Posts
You have a slightly different Internet configuration than most people.

Typically, there is only one IP address assigned to a modem. Then you connect the modem to a DSL/Cable router and share the connection. This ensures that all computers have the same IP scheme, can have a LAN and still access the Internet.

In your setup, you don't have a router. The computers are connected to a switch and have different IP schemes. This is why you networking isn't functioning with just TCP/IP.

As previously recommended, have you ever tried adding an additional protocol stack which will be used for the LAN access.

·
Registered
468 Posts
You also have file and print sharing turned on. On systems with public routeable IP addresses. That is a really bad idea!

I wish you would really reconsider a router. Especially if you have private information on your machines. Zone alarm is good, but that is not enough protection for me. If someone shuts it down even for 2 minutes .... come on in MYDOOM!

Steve

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.