Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll start with my current setup, which can be found attached to this post as a jpeg (Csetup.jpg). Now, what I'm wanting to do is only adding a computer tower to the router and being able to access that tower from one of the other computers(Wsetup.jpg). I guess it would be networking the hard drive through the router to be accessed by other computers on the same network. But I've been racking my brain on how to do this. I've tried remote access connections from computer to computer on the same network, but that was an unsuccessful attempt. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. I followed the microsoft.com explanation on how to setup the remote access. Couldn't get that to work with the computer name or the IP address of the computer. I tried doing some of the port forwarding for the host computer and even tried putting it on DMZ but nothing allowed me to access that computer through the router from other computers. Well, if anyone could offer some assistance with my dilemma it would be much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
736 Posts
If you are just looking to access files you could just create a network share folder, and then map that folder as a drive on the other two computers. You could really share the root of your extra computer's drive, but beware of this because it presents security risks.

If you are looking to get a remote desktop or perhaps do a domain login that is a totally different story.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Basically, what I'm trying to do is set it up to where I can access "World of Warcraft" on that computer. The main reason for doing this is because my computer handles all of my personal stuff and internet and that computer, once I get it cleaned out and the registry cleared out the best I can, will be used for its processor for running WoW. It would be a lot simpler if I had another computer monitor but I don't have that. So, I'm stuck trying to get this to work.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I don't know of any way to do what you are looking for. There are things like remote desktop applications but those are nowhere near fast enough for a graphics-intensive game. You'll probably have to move a monitor around or get another one. You could also put WoW on your personal computer. I don't think its system requirements are ungodly high.

Secondly, don't touch your registry. The only safe way to clean out your registry is by reinstalling Windows. This TSG thread goes into detail: http://forums.techguy.org/all-other-software/840181-solved-regseeker-registry-cleaner.html

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
The hulkinator is correct, there is no practical method of remotely executing any graphics intensive game, the bandwidth required is simply far too geat.

·
Registered
736 Posts
*wipes forehead* I always get a hair nervous posting in threads that moderators are actively involved in. I'd rather not say something blatantly wrong with the "big guys" watching closely. Then again, at least someone would be there to make it right :)

Anyway here are the minimum requirements for WoW:
- Intel Pentium 4 1.3 GHz or AMD Athlon XP 1500+
- 512 MB or more of RAM (Vista requires 1024 MB or more of RAM)
- 3D graphics processor with Hardware Transform and Lighting with 32 MB VRAM, such as an ATI Radeon 7200 or NVIDIA GeForce 2 class card or better
- DirectX® 9.0c (included) and latest video drivers
- 15.0 GB available HD space
- 4 x CD-ROM drive
- Broadband Internet connection
- For voice chat, an SSE enabled CPU is required.

And the recommended specs:
- Dual-core processor, such as the Intel Pentium D or AMD Athlon 64 X2
- 1024 MB RAM (Vista - 2048 MB of RAM)
- 3D graphics processor with Vertex and Pixel Shader capability with 128 MB VRAM, such as an ATI Radeon X1600 or NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT class card or better

I'd think anything made in the last 5 years will run it... something more recent will make it look better.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
The issue with graphics on a remote workstation is the bandwidth required on the network link. You have a gigabit link at best, and the bandwidth required to support any modern game is probably at least an order of magnitude greater than that. PCI-Express v2.0 supports a bandwidth of 8gigabytes/sec throughput, which is 64 times what a 1gigabit Ethernet link's raw speed is.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.